Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.9 To Allow Controlling Page Lock Unfairness In Addressing Performance Regression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.9 To Allow Controlling Page Lock Unfairness In Addressing Performance Regression

Phoronix: Linux 5.9 To Allow Controlling Page Lock Unfairness In Addressing Performance Regression

Following the Linux 5.0 to 5.9 kernel benchmarks on AMD EPYC and it showing the in-development Linux 5.9 kernel regressing in some workloads, bisecting that issue, and that bringing up the issue of the performance regression over page lock fairness a solution for Linux 5.9 has now landed.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great to see Michael's investigation have such a positive impact on the linux kernel!

Comment

The positive impact is huge. Now Linus and the community are seriously rethinking this code, the old design, the new, the way forward. We can look forward to some big change in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by dxin View Post
        The positive impact is huge. Now Linus and the community are seriously rethinking this code, the old design, the new, the way forward. We can look forward to some big change in the near future.
        Very well said.

I remember when I first entered the Linux scene. There were a lot of people taking negative runs at Phoronix and Micheal. Other content creators were jealous.
        Getting lots of praise now.
        You earned it Big Mike.

Comment

Can someone explain why 'fairness' could trump performance in a CS setting? Is this a buzzword change or a real engineering improvement?

Comment

Originally posted by down1 View Post
            Can someone explain why 'fairness' could trump performance in a CS setting? Is this a buzzword change or a real engineering improvement?
            It becomes important when you juggle lots of balls at the same time. Imagine you gotta juggle 5 balls at the same time. But well, one ball is super fast, so instead of slowing down and juggling all balls you just put the other 4 down and juggle that single ball. I mean, yeah it's faster? But you were asked to juggle 5 balls, not one. Here's the isssue with the fairness. In essence, the kernel would allow only one ball to get past over and over while the other 4 would stay still. Overall, performance is greater, but the kernel was asked to juggle 5 balls, not one.

Comment

Originally posted by down1 View Post
              Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Well, this seemingly small change certainly opened up a large can of worms! But that's part of the awesomeness of Linux. With so many talented people tackling issues like this they are found and remedied rather quickly.

And wow Michael, I sure hope to heck the Linux Foundation is at least paying you a bounty for uncovering problems like this. Fantastic job!

Comment

Originally posted by HighValueWarrior View Post

Very well said.

I remember when I first entered the Linux scene. There were a lot of people taking negative runs at Phoronix and Micheal. Other content creators were jealous.
                  Getting lots of praise now.
                  You earned it Big Mike.
                  In some 'serious' linux forums, Phoronix articles and comments were treated dismissively and even contemptuously, but I haven't seen much of that attitude in the past year or so. I think partly that's because the insights have matured, but significantly because the standard of these conversation threads has improved a lot. Subjectively, I think the level of commentary is much more informed.
                  I am pleased to subscribe to help support the work. This regression was a good catch.

Comment

In some 'serious' linux forums, Phoronix articles and comments were treated dismissively and even contemptuously, but I haven't seen much of that attitude in the past year or so. I think partly that's because the insights have matured, but significantly because the standard of these conversation threads has improved a lot.
                    We seem to be living in Clown World these days, at least when viewed from many of today's so-called "news" sources (more like sold off, propaganda outlets now). Phoronix is a breath of fresh air, a place to go where all that nonsense is ignored and real Linux news continues to thrive.

Comment

Working...
                    X