Linux 5.9 Dropping Soft Scrollback Support From FB + VGA Console Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.9 Dropping Soft Scrollback Support From FB + VGA Console Code

Phoronix: Linux 5.9 Dropping Soft Scrollback Support From FB + VGA Console Code

Linus Torvalds has decided to do away with the "soft scrollback" functionality found in the FBCON and VGACON kernel code as a sign of the times...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

IMHO mainline Linux is in urgent need of DRM/KMS based kernel console such as kmscon, however that one is for userspace and pretty much abandoned, I hope systemd would come up with something one day. Linux should have some sort of BSOD like functionality, the console should be able to break 256 glyph barrier and display unicode, it is 2020.

No "soft scrollback"? Well that absolutely sucks. Linux kernel console should have come with tmux like tiling functionality built-in so you could run 2 commands side by side, and copy/paste/pipe between them with a cursor.

Seems like they are always removing the useful parts. I remember the sarcastic patch once posted to lkml that removed i8042 keyboard and display support.

Comment

The "screen" command is your friend if you need soft scrollback.

Comment

Originally posted by ed31337 View Post
        The "screen" command is your friend if you need soft scrollback.
        Except when you need it, you weren't running a screen.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

Except when you need it, you weren't running a screen.
          You can always set up your rc files to launch screen on login. That's what I do.

I get the added benefit of C-a c and being able to detach something and then re-attach it in a GUI terminal if I want to.

Comment

Well, I still use FBCON on a Raspberry Pi as a terminal for doing most things (coding, E-mail, chat, note-taking, task management, timesheet, spreadsheet, etc), with another screen for stuff that requires a GUI. However I don't use scrollback, since I run everything remotely under screen. But if Linus gets rid of FBCON entirely, then I'll have some emergency coding to do to create a replacement that suits me. (I have a lot of shortcuts set up in the kernel keymap.)

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
              IMHO mainline Linux is in urgent need of DRM/KMS based kernel console such as kmscon, however that one is for userspace and pretty much abandoned, I hope systemd would come up with something one day. Linux should have some sort of BSOD like functionality, the console should be able to break 256 glyph barrier and display unicode, it is 2020.

No "soft scrollback"? Well that absolutely sucks. Linux kernel console should have come with tmux like tiling functionality built-in so you could run 2 commands side by side, and copy/paste/pipe between them with a cursor.

Seems like they are always removing the useful parts. I remember the sarcastic patch once posted to lkml that removed i8042 keyboard and display support.
              ChromeOS's frecon is still maintained: https://chromium.googlesource.com/ch...atform/frecon/

I guess they didn't upstream it since no one was interested. Until now...

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post

hahahahaha the irony in this comment is amazing.

A while back, everyone was trashing systemd.

Comment

Sorry but I use this feature and it's useful to me... D:

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    Sorry but I use this feature and it's useful to me
                    Same (it's useful when running bleeding-edge kernels as I have all syslog/etc output go to VT12) but as I use i915 KMS does this mean I still have it?

Comment

Working...
                    X