Linux 5.9 Dropping Soft Scrollback Support From FB + VGA Console Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
    Rust's compile-time guarantees are stronger than what static analyzers offer for C and C++ and that can't be fixed because the annotations required to add the requisite information to C and C++ code are voluminous enough to turn it into an uglier, less-pleasant-to-read-and-write Rust.
    annotations required to convert c++ code to rust ave voluminous enough to turn it into an uglier, less-pleasant-to-read-and-write and less powerful c++. c++ is evolving along with its static analyzers. and it does it faster than toy languages like rust
    Hell, If I want to write a compiled extension to something with a higher-level interface than C, like Python, Ruby, Node.js, etc. [1] [2], I'd choose Rust over C or C++ any day.
    i wonder when you'll chose rust over c++ to write rust's compiler
    Last edited by pal666; 09-22-2020, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      annotations required to convert c++ code to rust ave voluminous enough to turn it into an uglier, less-pleasant-to-read-and-write and less powerful c++. c++ is evolving along with its static analyzers. and it does it faster than toy languages like rust
      Obviously. There are a lot more parties involved in C++ at this point in time, which means more manpower. That doesn't change the fact that C++'s evolution is limited by legacy concerns.

As for the "toy languages" comment, I don't think that needs a response. Feel free to take that up with Microsoft, Amazon, Dropbox, and all the other companies that are interested in Rust. Google just recently posted an overview of their explorations into making bindings between C++ and Rust quicker and easier to write so adding Rust components to Chrome is viable.

i wonder when you'll chose rust over c++ to write rust's compiler
      First, I didn't write Rust's compiler. Second, the parts that are unique to Rust are written in Rust, and they're working on a Cranelift backend for faster debug builds, which will allow a pure Rust build option.

Reinventing LLVM at this point in time, just to avoid a dependency on C++ for release builds, would be foolish. It's work enough getting the LLVM components rustc shares with clang caught up with GCC, such as the optimizers.

I might as well mock you for using the Linux kernel when it hasn't been rewritten from C to C++ to be properly correct when undergirding your C++ applications.

Comment

Obviously. There are a lot more parties involved in C++ at this point in time, which means more manpower. That doesn't change the fact that C++'s evolution is limited by legacy concerns.
        it's not c++ evolution what is limited by legacy concerns. it's switching to rust. which makes all your arguments moot
        Reinventing LLVM at this point in time, just to avoid a dependency on C++ for release builds, would be foolish
        funny that it somehow works only for rust itself, everyone else must reinvent their code in rust asap
        I might as well mock you for using the Linux kernel when it hasn't been rewritten from C to C++ to be properly correct when undergirding your C++ applications.
        you can't, coexistence with c code is one of selling points of c++

Comment

funny that it somehow works only for rust itself, everyone else must reinvent their code in rust asap
          When did I ever say that? RIIR (Rewrite it in Rust) is something idiots say like a broken record, which reasonable Rust programmers are sick of doing damage control for.

Hell, we came up with the term "Rust Evangelism Strike Force" for those people... it's not a complement.

you can't, coexistence with c code is one of selling points of c++
          It is for Rust too. Rust was specifically designed to be good at interoperating with C in the same way C++ does.

Comment

Working...
          X