X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marios
    replied
    Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post

Is Microsoft, with its current leadership, the enemy of open source?
    Yes, probably the worst one, but not the only one.

Leave a comment:

• gregzeng
    replied
    Originally posted by jacob View Post

IMHO definitely not. Times have changed. Microsoft is actively involved in many open source projects (including the Linux kernel itself) and they also do things that are entirely contrary to the FOSS philosophy. Just like, you know, pretty much every major company around. In fact I would say they are now one of the better ones.
    Microsoft is like China was, when China tried an alternative to tight central planing: "experimental capitalism", for a very short time. Old timers here still distrust Microsoft. Will the big USA brands now also follow the world leader into Computer Technology? Here in Australia, we obediently follow the USA POTUS. No more Huawei, and ignore The Facebook, Google & YourTube censorship of "hate speech", "fake news", and ignore everything not politically correct.
    Linux & computing has its politically correct police force. For example Microsoft has its source code supposedly open to Linux coders, via the "Open Invention Network". No press releases seem to come yet. Is this their BRI: Belt and Road Initiative? When The next Emperor Trump runs Microsoft, Microsoft might return to what we old timers remember about it.

Leave a comment:

• GreenByte
    replied

I may have missed something but what's with this discussion about Japan? Japan WAS an enemy of the US SOME 80 F'ING YEARS AGO. Today they are among each other's most important strategic partners. Just like Germany is not the enemy of France.

By that logic the US's southern states are an enemy of the northern states.
    It's an analogy of Linux/Microsoft relationship.

Leave a comment:

• CeeBee
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    While RedHat is more or less used to Oracle rebranding everything they make, for Microsoft this is very scary.
    Someone should come up with an "Everyone but Oracle" open source license.

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied

And neither is Japan an enemy of the United States. In fact, they are a partner in the F-35 program. That is how much we trust them, and how much they've changed. An entity must be permitted to change its behavior.
    I may have missed something but what's with this discussion about Japan? Japan WAS an enemy of the US SOME 80 F'ING YEARS AGO. Today they are among each other's most important strategic partners. Just like Germany is not the enemy of France.

By that logic the US's southern states are an enemy of the northern states.

Leave a comment:

• wswartzendruber
    replied

IMHO definitely not. Times have changed. Microsoft is actively involved in many open source projects (including the Linux kernel itself) and they also do things that are entirely contrary to the FOSS philosophy. Just like, you know, pretty much every major company around. In fact I would say they are now one of the better ones.
    And neither is Japan an enemy of the United States. In fact, they are a partner in the F-35 program. That is how much we trust them, and how much they've changed. An entity must be permitted to change its behavior.

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied

Is Microsoft, with its current leadership, the enemy of open source?

Leave a comment:

• Xaero_Vincent
    replied
    I'm confused by what this means.

Does this mean that Hyper-V will now support bare-metal booted Linux hosts and we can use Hyper-V instead of KVM, VMware or Xen? Or will it still require Window Server as the host?

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
    Because Not Invented Here?
    Because EEE.

Leave a comment:

• doublez13
    replied
    Originally posted by elatllat View Post
    Will the kernel even merge a stub/wrapper/condom like mshv? I forget where the line is drawn.
    Yup I'm guessing it probably won't go over well... the patchset that is.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X