"Microsoft Wants To Create A Complete Virtualization Stack With Linux"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Microsoft Wants To Create A Complete Virtualization Stack With Linux"

Phoronix: "Microsoft Wants To Create A Complete Virtualization Stack With Linux"

Microsoft engineers are sending out new kernel patches in looking to expand the Linux support around the Microsoft Hypervisor (Hyper-V)...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The root partition in the context of the Microsoft Hypervisor is similar to Xeon's Dom0
    Typo - Should be Xen's.

Comment

Reminds me of the saying "Keep your friends close..."

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post
        Reminds me of the saying "Keep your friends close..."
        Is Japan an enemy of the United States?

Comment

Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post

He didnt finish the line...

Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.

Comment

Hmm, this is interesting. From what I understand, the "root partition" is running on top of the tiny proprietary Hyper-V microkernel but is doing a lot of the heavy lifting, actually providing hardware drivers and such, similar to the host system in KVM. I have no experience with Xen.

a bit more reading about Hyper-V's architecture. https://subscription.packtpub.com/bo...-1-hypervisors

I don't see how this could hurt Linux, it seems it's just a maneuver to ditch Windows as virtualization "host", and a step toward Winux.

I've actually had decent experiences with Hyper-V, much better than with VMWare's ESXi, so I don't mind seeing it ported to Linux as first-class citizen, even if the hypervisor microkernel itself remains closed source.

Comment

Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post

Is United States an enemy of everyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                Is United States an enemy of everyone else?
                Yes.
                However I do not find this conversation constructive. Maybe all these post about USA and Japan (including this post, I do not consider myself immune) should be deleted as off topic.

Comment

Why would they not just use/extend KVM?

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
                    Why would they not just use/extend KVM?
                    The Hyper-V micro kernel (which is the hypervisor's core) is still closed source, so while the root partition becomes Linux, they still maintain full control over who can use Hyper-V and who cannot.
                    It is still "their own product".

KVM isn't their own product and they have no such control over who can use it, evil companies like Oracle could come out and just plain rip off everything, change the company logos and make their own KVM host, and make money off it.

Which is exactly what happens with oVirt (RedHat's KVM virtualization host), Oracle takes it and rebrands it to make their "Linux Virtualization Manager" https://docs.oracle.com/en/virtualiz...ger/index.html

While RedHat is more or less used to Oracle rebranding everything they make, for Microsoft this is very scary.

Also, Hyper-V isn't a bad product at all, its main drawback was its dependence on Windows for the "root partition".
                    Last edited by starshipeleven; 14 September 2020, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X