Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dbus-Broker 24 Brings Improved Log Messages

Phoronix: Dbus-Broker 24 Brings Improved Log Messages

Dbus-Broker as the high performance, D-Bus compatible implementation with BUS1 not panning out yet for high-performance, in-kernel IPC has seen a new release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can someone really comment on what’s the state of bus1 project?

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post
      Can someone really comment on what’s the state of bus1 project?
      Perhaps more to the point, is bus1 superseded by dbus-broker, at least in terms of performance?

Comment

BUS1 should be dropped... ...it's not going anywhere.

Unless they maybe plan to do in-kernel inter-module communication?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          BUS1 should be dropped... ...it's not going anywhere.
          And you base this claim on what exactly?

Comment

Linux userland (including systemd) would look differently if kdbus be included. They needed it not because of the speed, but to have it in the early boot. They ended up with dbus included in the systemd in the form of varlink. You thing guys what, bus1 would suddenly give you +100 fps in quake or make Gnome smoother? Even if kdbus was faster, you wouldn't see it in your home, but maybe super-specific cloud deployments. And the author is here- he said many times- you can ask him. I would rather ask after RH acquisition by IBM for serious money, how long will they do even care about being dependent on a out-of-company single person. I mean, they can now even say "systemd is now dependent on XYZ kernel module and you can pull it from our source tree" (as it's not mainlined)

edit: Oh, one thing. I had a hope that maybe after eventually kdbus be implemented, systemd-consoled project would be bringed up.
            Last edited by ptrwis; 05 September 2020, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post

And you base this claim on what exactly?
              - Basically zero BUS1 users.
              - Having userspace IPC in the kernel is risky and dated.
              - dbus-broker ended up being the way to go, and the devs realized this the moment they conceived it, by totally stopping work on BUS1.

Comment

- Having userspace IPC in the kernel is risky and dated.
                And where else would you suggest handling IPC with zero copy and some sort of access model?

- dbus-broker ended up being the way to go, and the devs realized this the moment they conceived it, by totally stopping work on BUS1.
                Right, but AFAIK its just a faster implementation of dbus, while bus1 is a simpler IPC mechanisms with those properties.

- Basically zero BUS1 users.
                If I understood it correctly, dbus-broker can be or will be usable on top of bus1. I don't know if that is the current goal, or if there just isn't enough manpower available for that.

Comment

Originally posted by PyroDevil View Post

And where else would you suggest handling IPC with zero copy and some sort of access model?
                  Shared memory. /dev/shm

Right, but AFAIK its just a faster implementation of dbus,
                  Which would work as a drop-in replacement for the standard D-Bus daemon, and applications would benefit from the performance improvements without any changes.

If I understood it correctly, dbus-broker can be or will be usable on top of bus1. I don't know if that is the current goal, or if there just isn't enough manpower available for that.
                  It is probably that.

Comment

Working...
                  X