No announcement yet.

Paragon Submits Third Version Of New NTFS Kernel Driver For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many comments here show so much ignorance of Paragon, The Linux Foundation, and open source products. Conspiracy theories and backdoors everywhere, are favorite hobbies. Russians, Germans but no Chinese, Japanese or drug cartels this time?
    To the beginners here, products of The Linux Foundation are released as open source code. This code can be examined, and modified, before it is compiled into binary code for computers to use. Most (all?) creators of this binary code specialize this open source code. Changes are made for different hardware, preferences and operating needs. Many code compilers remove stuff added by The Linux Foundation. There is at least one voluntary organization that proudly removes the "binary blobs;' added by The Linux Foundation.
    Most compilers seem to add their own code to the open source product. This open source product is released every few days. The only organization that offers the compiled version of every open source Linux Kernel is Ubuntu. Every other group or organization cannot afford the time, skill & discipline needed to compile every bug-fix and change in the releases from The Linux Foundation. On their official Ubuntu web site, you have exactly 2,030 ready to run compiled Linux kernels waiting for you to download, right now, from "2016-04-06 08:00", to "2020-08-27 09:07".
    Unknown to slow learners here, is that Microsoft has released it's commercial version to Linux coders, free of legal constraints, via the "Open Source Initiative". This explains Paragon's "initiative". The older 3G NTFS etc is facing being very useless. This has implications also for BTRFS & ZFS. We need more comparisons on these file systems, for reliability, RAID, defragmenting, speed, self-repair, indexing, encryption & compression.

Comment

Originally posted by dragorth View Post

Well, there is a BTRFS on Windows, and it is usable. It is based on the ReactOS code base, so not dependent on Linux. On macOS, ZFS works well. There are also indos drivers for ZFS, but it isn't in as great of shape as the macOS port it is based on. Paragon has made an EXT driver for both Windows and macOS, I believe, so what is the real reason these system aren't adopted?
      To be widely adopted, it needs to work well, and be universally available on all platforms, so included by the vendors or a trivial, free (as in beer) install.

The only one at this time is FAT / FAT32.

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post

Linux Foundation is a corporate entity, albeit a non-profit one.

So all the programmers, developers, and maintainers they support should be equally suspect by your logic.
        Well yes. Sort of. I'd be suspicious of everybody wanting to add a large codeset that a lot of people would depend on, mainly data integrity and security wise.
        If not for anything else, just for the potential risk of just human stupidity. Does not require much to fail, epic style.
        Peripheral crap that are mainly targeted towards very specific uses, not as much.
        A set of cryptography that would be used by all and everybody, sure. Filesystems, absolutely.

OpenSSL Heartbleed was the addition of heartbeat functionality, one commit style, single, fast-skimmed review by one (I think) person.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          No, Paragon did not submit a blob. NVIDIA/AMDPRO proprietary graphics drivers contain blobs.
          Ah come on, is nitpicking on terms all that is left?

Paragon did submit a pretty large patch, and while it should not be called blob, his points remain valid.

Why don't you go back to playing on your Windows PC instead of trolling here for nothing?

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post

What the hell is wrong with you? Seriously?
            Always the same toxic communication.
            Fangs out on every comment.

I never said you could not have the driver?
            I only wanted it to pass normal sane vetting,
            coming from a government tied organization and being the large blob of code it is.

What is your idea of normal when accepting a large piece of code that a lot of people will trust?
            Birdie is here just to suffer, just like a sad boring windows troll can do.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post

Am I supposed to be impressed by this ?

No. You asked if I've audited the USB drivers.
              I didn't think a yes or no answer would have been sufficient for you.

Comment

Originally posted by ferry View Post

To be widely adopted, it needs to work well, and be universally available on all platforms, so included by the vendors or a trivial, free (as in beer) install.

The only one at this time is FAT / FAT32.
                WinBTRFS is a free, as in beer, simple install? It can be installed from the github page, and also through
                Code:
                choco install winbtrfs
                with chocolatey. It just isn't on macOS, and that at least is a legitimate downside.

But getting the 100 lb gorilla, Windos should be enough, honestly. Mac can read and rite ntfs, fat16, fat32, exfat and others.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post

No. You asked if I've audited the USB drivers.
                  I didn't think a yes or no answer would have been sufficient for you.
                  Read the question again, the penny will drop eventually I don't mean drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by dragorth View Post

WinBTRFS is a free, as in beer, simple install? It can be installed from the github page, and also through
                    Code:
                    choco install winbtrfs
                    with chocolatey. It just isn't on macOS, and that at least is a legitimate downside.

But getting the 100 lb gorilla, Windos should be enough, honestly. Mac can read and rite ntfs, fat16, fat32, exfat and others.
                    Mac can't write on NTFS without third party drivers. Paragon and Tuxera offer paid drivers, and there is also a port of the FUSE ntfs driver from Linux

Comment

I'm Russian and I have applied to work at Paragon's Moscow HQ ~10 years ago. Well, what can I say, it wasn't pleasant. Believe it or not their decision not to take me was based on me "having long hair". Yep, verbatim - the interviewer left the room for a while and I saw what was on the screen of his tablet. This has nothing to do with the quality of their code but shares a glimpse in their internal culture, I believe.

Comment

Working...
                      X