Paragon Submits Third Version Of New NTFS Kernel Driver For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by illwieckz View Post

Do you know Linux is not USAkernel? Have you ever thought that Russian or German (and from other countries) customers may not want exploits in the product they use as well?
    God bless that it's not a USAkernel with their attitude anti-encryption, pro-backdoors, pro-spyware, mass-surveilance, ACTA, SOPA, PIPA,
    And God bless that Linus was not Bill and made the kernel open source with a good license.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

The company gives you for free a working implementation of a highly-sought-after file system with a few corner cases which kernel developers could have fixed themselves. Yeah, let's reject the whole thing right away because of "the high code standards" while users will be left with slow unmaintained NTFS-3G.

The rest of your comment is why people often leave open source. You're so choke full of hypocrisy, grandeur and self-entitlement it bloody stinks.

I for one would love people like you to shut their effing mouths. I'm pretty sure you've never submitted a single line of code to the kernel and most likely haven't filed and helped fix a single bug. In short, I'm almost sure you're just full of shit.
      What the hell is wrong with you? Seriously?
      Always the same toxic communication.
      Fangs out on every comment.

I never said you could not have the driver?
      I only wanted it to pass normal sane vetting,
      coming from a government tied organization and being the large blob of code it is.

What is your idea of normal when accepting a large piece of code that a lot of people will trust?

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post

I'm a bit wary of all corporate attempts at submitting a large blob of code.
        Be it Microsoft, Paragon, Intel or whatever.
        It's not much of a conspiracy.
        Just normal, not being a stupid asshole, do your due dilligence kind of sense.
        Gone full Stallman now ? Did you audit the code in your USB controller ?

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post

Personally I'd like to see decent full NTFS support in the kernel, anything that kicks Microsoft in the bollocks is a winner with me.
          I don't think adding a NTFS support to linux will kick MS in the balls. To do that, you would better take a linux file system and implement that on windows, MacOS and BSD. Then USB sticks and portable drives could be factory formatted to that file system (btrfs would be nice, but probably zfs is closer to this goal), instead of NTFS.

Comment

The code needs to be audited for quality and exploits and bugs. Just like any other code submitted to the kernel. Simple as that. The kernel is being used (eventually) in mission critical devices.
            There is no conspiracy here, just par fir the course. You know there ares reason Linux is in such wide use in the world... security and stability are more important than a new NTFS driver, when the the 3G version is at least in a working state.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post

I'm a bit wary of all corporate attempts at submitting a large blob of code.
              Be it Microsoft, Paragon, Intel or whatever.
              It's not much of a conspiracy.
              Just normal, not being a stupid asshole, do your due dilligence kind of sense.
              Do you even understand what "blob" means in the context of software [development]? I guess you don't. I wonder what you're doing here.

Comment

I just wanted to add my two cents worth here. I feel no need to attack or anything. The renaming things, I don't really care one way or the other. Right now I am cooking up so tortillas, white corn in fact. Don't give it much thought. I may have some black beans later. That said, early on when I started dealing with hardware and PATA drives, I will admit that the master/slave jumper did hold some social associations for me, but I also know what it was supposed to mean on a technical level. I'm fine with whatever. I'm actually a little conservative in views, so this isn't some crusade for me, just fine with whatever.

In regards to the Paragon NTFS driver landing in the kernel, if it is of good code quality, vetted for security, and works well, then I'd like it. There are a lot of NTFS formatted drives out there, and I know I can read them now on a Linux boot for diagnostics, compatibility whatever. But might be even more nice to have this to better do these things, also share partitions in a dual-boot scenario. That's all I got.

Comment

Originally posted by ferry View Post

I don't think adding a NTFS support to linux will kick MS in the balls. To do that, you would better take a linux file system and implement that on windows, MacOS and BSD. Then USB sticks and portable drives could be factory formatted to that file system (btrfs would be nice, but probably zfs is closer to this goal), instead of NTFS.
                  Well, there is a BTRFS on Windows, and it is usable. It is based on the ReactOS code base, so not dependent on Linux. On macOS, ZFS works well. There are also indos drivers for ZFS, but it isn't in as great of shape as the macOS port it is based on. Paragon has made an EXT driver for both Windows and macOS, I believe, so what is the real reason these system aren't adopted?

Comment

Before shutting all over Paragon, just remember Microsoft owns these file systems, is a Linux Foundation Platinum member, and has done Fuck All for Linux other than get it running(badly) within Windows. So do cut these 2nd class citizens some slack.

Comment

Not that I use WSL, but I'm wondering I'm MS will leverage this to better file sharing between Windows and WSL environments. I'm actually quite shocked they're using Plan9 for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                      X