Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paragon Submits Third Version Of New NTFS Kernel Driver For Linux

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Paragon Submits Third Version Of New NTFS Kernel Driver For Linux

    Phoronix: Paragon Submits Third Version Of New NTFS Kernel Driver For Linux

    Two weeks ago file-system driver vendor Paragon Software posted patches for their previously commercial NTFS Linux driver with hopes of getting the code mainlined. That initial patch drew some criticism for how it was handled but a week later a new version was published that split up the patches nicely and had other feedback. Prior to calling it a weekend, Paragon sent out a third version of the "NTFS3" Linux kernel driver patches...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...3-V3-For-Linux

  • #2
    Here is to hoping that kernel folks live up to the high code standards they have set.
    I for one do not want this patch to pass unless bucketloads of rounds has been passed.
    Given its shitty state, I actually expect it.

    Also. I'd seriously scrutinize that code for built in exploits.
    Russian in origin, German HQ.
    Paragon is also heavily tied to government contracts and security agencies with various data storage technologies.
    Last edited by milkylainen; 29 August 2020, 05:40 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
      Here is to hoping that kernel folks live up to the high code standards they have set.
      I for one do not want this patch to pass unless bucketloads of rounds has been passed.
      Given its shitty state, I actually expect it.

      Also. I'd seriously scrutinize that code for built in exploits.
      Russian in origin, German HQ.
      Paragon is also heavily tied to government contracts and security agencies with various data storage technologies.
      Hmm, bit conspiracy theory there. Do you work for Microsoft or David Icke ?

      Personally I'd like to see decent full NTFS support in the kernel, anything that kicks Microsoft in the bollocks is a winner with me.

      Comment


      • #4
        "Here is to hoping that kernel folks live up to the high code standards they have set.
        I for one do not want this patch to pass unless bucketloads of rounds has been passed.
        Given its shitty state, I actually expect it.

        Also. I'd seriously scrutinize that code for built in exploits.
        Russian in origin, German HQ.
        Paragon is also heavily tied to government contracts and security agencies with various data storage technologies."

        oh, sht, I forgot my tin hat... ;-D BTW, state of the Linux kernel community is like that: all the progress needs to slow down as we need to change important things first... Remove all master, slave and blacklist references... REEEEEEEE....

        Over the years, then become from developer heroes to bunch of soy p***

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
          Here is to hoping that kernel folks live up to the high code standards they have set.
          I for one do not want this patch to pass unless bucketloads of rounds has been passed.
          Given its shitty state, I actually expect it.

          Also. I'd seriously scrutinize that code for built in exploits.
          Russian in origin, German HQ.
          Paragon is also heavily tied to government contracts and security agencies with various data storage technologies.
          The company gives you for free a working implementation of a highly-sought-after file system with a few corner cases which kernel developers could have fixed themselves. Yeah, let's reject the whole thing right away because of "the high code standards" while users will be left with slow unmaintained NTFS-3G.

          The rest of your comment is why people often leave open source. You're so choke full of hypocrisy, grandeur and self-entitlement it bloody stinks.

          I for one would love people like you to shut their effing mouths. I'm pretty sure you've never submitted a single line of code to the kernel and most likely haven't filed and helped fix a single bug. In short, I'm almost sure you're just full of shit.
          Last edited by birdie; 29 August 2020, 07:56 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
            Also. I'd seriously scrutinize that code for built in exploits.
            Russian in origin, German HQ.
            Do you know Linux is not USAkernel? Have you ever thought that Russian or German (and from other countries) customers may not want exploits in the product they use as well?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
              I for one do not want this patch to pass unless bucketloads of rounds has been passed.
              And I want working NTFS kernel driver with proper write support.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post

                Hmm, bit conspiracy theory there. Do you work for Microsoft or David Icke ?

                Personally I'd like to see decent full NTFS support in the kernel, anything that kicks Microsoft in the bollocks is a winner with me.
                I'm a bit wary of all corporate attempts at submitting a large blob of code.
                Be it Microsoft, Paragon, Intel or whatever.
                It's not much of a conspiracy.
                Just normal, not being a stupid asshole, do your due dilligence kind of sense.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

                  And I want working NTFS kernel driver with proper write support.
                  I did not say you couldn't. And I would like that too.
                  But if you prefer your logic, then everything is ok?
                  There is no need to qualify for anything?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by illwieckz View Post

                    Do you know Linux is not USAkernel? Have you ever thought that Russian or German (and from other countries) customers may not want exploits in the product they use as well?
                    I trust everything equally little until trust has been earned.
                    My distrust in American corporations and government agencies equal those of the Russians etc.
                    Same shit, different name. American corporations are no angels.

                    Organically developed code has been vetted in increments.
                    Which means they have been scrutinized a lot.
                    A large blob of code, representing a complex file system, has not.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X