Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Engineer Calls For Greater Collaboration On Speculative Execution Mitigations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Engineer Calls For Greater Collaboration On Speculative Execution Mitigations

Phoronix: Google Engineer Calls For Greater Collabration On Speculative Execution Mitigations

When it comes to kernel address space isolation (ASI) and other yet-to-be-merged security features around fending off speculative execution attacks, there are multiple concurrent efforts by many of the public cloud providers and other hyperscalers. A Google engineer at this week's Linux Plumbers Conference has called for more collaboration in this area to ideally provide a unified solution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It seems Bruce Perens is right that Open Source has served businesses really well, but businesses are not really into it for sharing and collaboration unless it serves their own purposes...
    Free Software / Open Source have been going on for 37 years, and it's time to assess our performance and see if we can preserve our successes and improve upo...

Comment

Google has the $ to just make a non-speculative cpu, (amazon made graviton). Stop mitigating and just fix it properly. Offering the only secure cloud is good for marketing, probably enough to make people over look them blocking SMTP.
      Last edited by elatllat; 28 August 2020, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
        Google has the $ to just make a non-speculative cpu, (amazon made graviton). Stop mitigating and just fix it properly. Offering the only secure cloud is good for marketing, probably enough to make people over look them blocking SMTP.
        and nobody will use it because of trash performance.
        In addition paranoids like me won't use cloud service for any sensitive data from the beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
          Just continuing to use Intel CPUs in the cloud while spending all this capital on mitigations seems to be a strange business decision to me. It's not like there aren't other vendors with better value and security. I can only imagine it's costed against the existing infrastructure sunk cost, but I suspect it might just be to justify that existing and ongoing investment in Intel hardware.

Comment

Headline news: megabusiness dominant in sector calls for less competition.

It seems like a sound engineering principle: a single solution provides only a single point of failure. Less failure is good, right?

Comment

Thank you!! This is what I've been saying from the start!

Comment

Working...
              X