Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Real-Time / PREEMPT_RT Support Should Finally Be Mainlined Soon In The Linux Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real-Time / PREEMPT_RT Support Should Finally Be Mainlined Soon In The Linux Kernel

Phoronix: Real-Time / PREEMPT_RT Support Should Finally Be Mainlined Soon In The Linux Kernel

In 2019 there were kernel developers talking at conferences that the remaining "PREEMPT_RT" patches for a real-time kernel should be mainlined in early 2020. That didn't happen for the long ongoing work around the "RT" patches while at this week's Linux Plumbers Conference (LPC 2020) is that the work should finally be close to merging to mainline...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...REEMPT_RT-Soon

I hope/think this is a huge win for the kernel behavior in general.
    So far, development has been driven by a lot of big-iron stuff.
    Mainlining RT will shine another light on the kernel performance aspect.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
      I hope/think this is a huge win for the kernel behavior in general.
      So far, development has been driven by a lot of big-iron stuff.
      Mainlining RT will shine another light on the kernel performance aspect.
      Even as a RT user (jack for guitarix and DAW) that will certainly benefit from this, I'd avoid RT where it's not explicitly required due to speculative execution vulnerabilities often depending on exact timing.

Comment

For those that think that will improve gaming, it won't. It reduces latency which lowers overall throughput on a constrained system

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
          For those that think that will improve gaming, it won't. It reduces latency which lowers overall throughput on a constrained system
          1. Gaming "quality" is a lot of things. Latency is a very important metric in a lot of things. Gaming included.
          2. RT has nothing to do with something on a constrained system.
          3. RT has nothing to do with lowering latency.

I see these type of comments all the time. RT = fast or RT = lower latency.
          RT is neither. RT is predictability in scheduling and latency. I.e a consistent output.
          It does not mean it's fast or has low latency.

Although typical Linux RT patch code aims to lower event response-time latency,
          this is more of a requirement to serve low-latency requests and has nothing to do with RT-theory.

Comment

Also, optimizations for latency often improve throughput as well. (In my experience, more often so than the other way around.)

One reason is that obstacles to latency often come from code that runs unnecessarily or inefficiently in the first place (but is more difficult to identify when looking at the complexities of throughput on a busy system).

Comment

This is great news.

Michael- the RT patches for 5.9-rc are now available: https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/...l/projects/rt/

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post

1. Gaming "quality" is a lot of things. Latency is a very important metric in a lot of things. Gaming included.
                2. RT has nothing to do with something on a constrained system.
                3. RT has nothing to do with lowering latency.

I see these type of comments all the time. RT = fast or RT = lower latency.
                RT is neither. RT is predictability in scheduling and latency. I.e a consistent output.
                It does not mean it's fast or has low latency.

Although typical Linux RT patch code aims to lower event response-time latency,
                this is more of a requirement to serve low-latency requests and has nothing to do with RT-theory.
                Either way if you game with RT enabled your framerates will be lower

Comment

Should benefit J- never mind they all already mentioned it...

I just hope they don't alter any of the patches so that the eventual mainline kernel feels like the real-time patched one..

Comment

I hope they are right, because in 2018 they strongly implied RT would land in the 2019, then in 2019 they said RT would hit mainline no later than Q1 of 2020.

Comment

Working...
                    X