Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xorbe
    replied
    G200 was buggy as hell in Windows, I remember that pain. Also, post #200 for me!

Leave a comment:

• elml
    replied
    Originally posted by Gusar View Post
    This isn't about server hardware though. The article title explicitly mentions desktop graphic cards. The server chips have been supported by the kernel for a long time already. What's new now is support for the desktop cards. And I'm with c117152 here, I can't imagine anyone still using those.
    Well... I've still got a Matrox G200 in an old 196MByte AGP desktop system.

I'll also admit that it hasn't been booted up for some time! Might be worth a giggle with xfce at a magnificent 1024x768 resolution...

More generally, I've various server and desktop kit that is still in daily use from well beyond the usual 5-years-and-replace. Some of the kit harks back to 2008. They are still in use due to 'why break systems that do not need fixing?'...

Linux is fantastic for maintaining 'legacy' support.

That is all also very good for reducing the landfill waste!

Leave a comment:

• Gusar
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    Have a browse through some recent server hardware. Matrox GPUs are still fairly common.
    This isn't about server hardware though. The article title explicitly mentions desktop graphic cards. The server chips have been supported by the kernel for a long time already. What's new now is support for the desktop cards. And I'm with c117152 here, I can't imagine anyone still using those.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    AGP on a 2020 motherboard?! O-o

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied
    Originally posted by c117152 View Post
    Personally I can't begin to remember when was the last time I've see this sort of hardware in use...
    Have a browse through some recent server hardware. Matrox GPUs are still fairly common.

Leave a comment:

• torsionbar28
    replied
    Originally posted by c117152 View Post
    Personally I can't begin to remember when was the last time I've see this sort of hardware in use...
    Someone is using it, and clearly someone has enough of an interest in it to have performed this new work. The oft cited reason for removing older hardware support is the lack of a willing maintainer. It's quite refreshing in this case to see someone step up and perform modernization and maintenance on this older driver code.

Leave a comment:

• c117152
    replied
    Originally posted by milkylainen View Post

AGP is still a PCI card. This was not removing support for AGP cards.
    This was about removing some memory mapping stuff used for acceleration by AGP cards (afaik).
    Using an AGP card as SVGA/VESA display out in a server or something should work just fine.
    It's just context to explain the "new" driver isn't accelerated or anything but rather just extends the server g200 driver coverage to substitute for the stuff that was / will be removed from the AGP stack to provide basic video out.

Leave a comment:

• jabl
    replied
    Originally posted by rene View Post
    It is not "new" support, the support was always there. Heck I used it when my Matrox Millennium II was new or my G200 and even played Quake3 Linux steel box edition when it was new: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOfcpNW01d4 this is "only" moving support glue code around to newer APIs.
    Yes, I used a Matrox Millenium card with Linux back in the day as well. Don't recall the exact version, maybe it was a G400. But it was using the user-space modesetting code just like every other graphics driver was doing back then. This patch apparently adds kernel modesetting support for G200, which is what other modern graphics drivers are using.

Leave a comment:

• jabl
    replied
    Originally posted by milkylainen View Post

This was about removing some memory mapping stuff used for acceleration by AGP cards (afaik).
    Using an AGP card as SVGA/VESA display out in a server or something should work just fine.
    Yes, IIUIC it was removing support for an address mapping engine in the AGP support chip on the motherboard. Even after this removal AGP cards can be used as a "normal" PCI card, even taking advantage of the higher BW AGP provides.

Leave a comment:

• milkylainen
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X