Linux 5.9 Lands Patch Adding Fallthrough Macro In 2,484 More Spots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.9 Lands Patch Adding Fallthrough Macro In 2,484 More Spots

Phoronix: Linux 5.9 Lands Patch Adding Fallthrough Macro In 2,484 More Spots

A single patch coming in at nearly three thousand lines was merged on Monday for the Linux 5.9 kernel that make the use of the "fallthrough" macro more widespread throughout the kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by birdie
    Nothing could go wrong.
    better not touch anything and let it rot

Comment

My Immediate question is if this is a "GCC"ism or if clang also understands this macro.

Comment

This doesn't have anything to do with the patch discussed in this article, but for those having problems with VFIO passthrough on 5.9-rc1/rc2 a patch has been created that fixes the issue. The patch can be found at the top of the following bug report (or click on this - Fix sqo_mm accounting), and will be included in rc3.

Last edited by muncrief; 25 August 2020, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Hi Robert
          I think the pass-through bug is not related to the fall-through change discussed above.
          Glad anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by flgram View Post
            Hi Robert
            I think the pass-through bug is not related to the fall-through change discussed above.
            Glad anyway.
            You're correct, and I should have made that clear. I posted it here because this was the most current article on 5.9 and I wanted to get the word out to anyone who needed it. But I certainly should have done it in a less bumbling manner

EDIT:
            I changed my post to be more clear.
            Last edited by muncrief; 25 August 2020, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie
              Nothing could go wrong.
              By replacing a comment with a hint that the compiler can actually understand? Please don't tell me you're a developer.

Comment

The funny thing is, the C programmers have argued for decades that C's implicit fall-through was a really great feature, maybe one of the best ones.

Comment

Originally posted by WizardGed View Post
                  My Immediate question is if this is a "GCC"ism or if clang also understands this macro.
                  Looks like it should work just fine in clang.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                    The funny thing is, the C programmers have argued for decades that C's implicit fall-through was a really great feature, maybe one of the best ones.
                    it's a great feature but only if your perfect and never make mistakes, otherwise it's a pain. I recall spending 3 weeks looking for a bug that turned out to be where I forgot a break statement. (That was on Turbo C++ for DOS which I don't think had warnings for implicit fall-through.)

Comment

Working...
                    X