Clear All

• S.Pam
    replied
    No issues with compression afaik.

Leave a comment:

• Anvil
    replied
    Originally posted by BenjiWiebe View Post

Doesn't need guessing. Fedora is targeting Fedora 33 for default of BTRFS. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/BtrfsByDefault
    still has issues like compressing? my issue would be if a Blackout were to occur an you had a power failure would you lose anything ? they coul;d always revert it back to EXT4 if to many users have issues with BTRFS during the Beta

Leave a comment:

• mackal
    replied
    Originally posted by set135

Sorry for the assumption. After a little looking, what I see is that swapon is rejecting swapfiles the kernel thinks are created with 'holes', which is a filesystem space optimization where space is not allocated for lots of contiguous nulls in a file. The complaints I saw seemed to relate to swapfiles created with fallocate(1), and were fixed by 'the recommended method' of using dd. I have always used dd since the dark ages for this purpose, so my test worked fine. I just tested with fallocate on kernel 5.8.2 and it rejected it with a log saying 'swapon: swapfile has holes'.

So, just to be clear, for me on kernel 5.8.2 a swapfile made with 'fallocate -l 1GB swapblob' is not accepted, but one created with 'dd if=/dev/zero of=swapblob bs=1024k count=1024' works with ext4.
    Could have sworn I tried dd as well and that failed back when 5.7 was first released, seems to work now though /shrug

Leave a comment:

• mackal
    replied
    Originally posted by set135

Probably you were thinking of btrfs, which allows swapfiles as of kernel 5.0 (with some caveats)
    No, it broke with 5.7.

Leave a comment:

• mackal
    replied
    But is swapfile on ext4 fixed yet?

Leave a comment:

• BenjiWiebe
    replied
    Originally posted by Anvil View Post
    will be interesting to see how long Fedora default to BTRFS , my guess is, it wont be long
    Doesn't need guessing. Fedora is targeting Fedora 33 for default of BTRFS. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/BtrfsByDefault

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    Typically new Ext4 features only were applicable to new data without reformat but you still could enable them, not sure if this will be different.

Leave a comment:

• loganj
    replied
    just curious: do you have to reformat the disk for new feature to be available?

Leave a comment:

• pkese
    replied
    Originally posted by Spam View Post
    Why is that?
    Because 'feelings'.

Leave a comment:

• S.Pam
    replied
    Why is that?

Leave a comment:

Working...