Clear All

• S.Pam
    replied
    No issues with compression afaik.

Leave a comment:

• Anvil
    replied
    Originally posted by BenjiWiebe View Post

Doesn't need guessing. Fedora is targeting Fedora 33 for default of BTRFS. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/BtrfsByDefault
    still has issues like compressing? my issue would be if a Blackout were to occur an you had a power failure would you lose anything ? they coul;d always revert it back to EXT4 if to many users have issues with BTRFS during the Beta

Leave a comment:

• mackal
    replied
    Originally posted by set135 View Post

Sorry for the assumption. After a little looking, what I see is that swapon is rejecting swapfiles the kernel thinks are created with 'holes', which is a filesystem space optimization where space is not allocated for lots of contiguous nulls in a file. The complaints I saw seemed to relate to swapfiles created with fallocate(1), and were fixed by 'the recommended method' of using dd. I have always used dd since the dark ages for this purpose, so my test worked fine. I just tested with fallocate on kernel 5.8.2 and it rejected it with a log saying 'swapon: swapfile has holes'.

So, just to be clear, for me on kernel 5.8.2 a swapfile made with 'fallocate -l 1GB swapblob' is not accepted, but one created with 'dd if=/dev/zero of=swapblob bs=1024k count=1024' works with ext4.
    Could have sworn I tried dd as well and that failed back when 5.7 was first released, seems to work now though /shrug

Leave a comment:

• set135
    replied
    Originally posted by mackal View Post

No, it broke with 5.7.
    Sorry for the assumption. After a little looking, what I see is that swapon is rejecting swapfiles the kernel thinks are created with 'holes', which is a filesystem space optimization where space is not allocated for lots of contiguous nulls in a file. The complaints I saw seemed to relate to swapfiles created with fallocate(1), and were fixed by 'the recommended method' of using dd. I have always used dd since the dark ages for this purpose, so my test worked fine. I just tested with fallocate on kernel 5.8.2 and it rejected it with a log saying 'swapon: swapfile has holes'.

So, just to be clear, for me on kernel 5.8.2 a swapfile made with 'fallocate -l 1GB swapblob' is not accepted, but one created with 'dd if=/dev/zero of=swapblob bs=1024k count=1024' works with ext4.

Leave a comment:

• mackal
    replied
    Originally posted by set135 View Post

Probably you were thinking of btrfs, which allows swapfiles as of kernel 5.0 (with some caveats)
    No, it broke with 5.7.

Leave a comment:

• set135
    replied
    Originally posted by mackal View Post
    But is swapfile on ext4 fixed yet?
    Probably you were thinking of btrfs, which allows swapfiles as of kernel 5.0 (with some caveats)

Leave a comment:

• mackal
    replied
    But is swapfile on ext4 fixed yet?

Leave a comment:

• BenjiWiebe
    replied
    Originally posted by Anvil View Post
    will be interesting to see how long Fedora default to BTRFS , my guess is, it wont be long
    Doesn't need guessing. Fedora is targeting Fedora 33 for default of BTRFS. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/BtrfsByDefault

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    Typically new Ext4 features only were applicable to new data without reformat but you still could enable them, not sure if this will be different.

Leave a comment:

• loganj
    replied
    just curious: do you have to reformat the disk for new feature to be available?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X