Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Xeon Ice Lake, Gen2 Optane + Linux's IO_uring Yielding Up To 2.58M IOPS Per Core

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Xeon Ice Lake, Gen2 Optane + Linux's IO_uring Yielding Up To 2.58M IOPS Per Core

Phoronix: Intel Xeon Ice Lake, Gen2 Optane + Linux's IO_uring Yielding Up To 2.58M IOPS Per Core

The Linux IO_uring interface for driving some major efficiency improvements in the Linux I/O stack is really screaming when paired with Intel's next-gen Ice Lake Xeon server platforms and the Intel Gen2 "Alder Stream" Optane solid-state drives...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Reading some of the blog posts about figuring out how to best integrate io_uring with rust's async/.await makes me think that io_uring+rust has a bright future.
    safe bindings to io-uring. Contribute to ringbahn/ringbahn development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

I have no idea what a single-core of a present-gen system with something like a fast NVME drive could do compared to these numbers, but I'll give the io_uring guys a lot of credit for making sure that the I/O subsystem isn't holding back the hardware. [Edit: Check out the full Twitter thread and he posts some details of larger I/O blocks and shows the older asynchronous I/O system in comparison... io_uring completely demolishes it in performance and lets the hardware shine.]
      Last edited by chuckula; 21 August 2020, 09:34 PM.

Comment

is this article compatible with freebsd zealot's alternative reality?

Comment

Working...
        X