Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paragon Sends Out Updated NTFS Driver They Want To Mainline For The Linux Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by You- View Post

ExFAT should also be a good option for this (and for external device support).
    Most existing smart TVs support fat and ntfs only. exFat is still relatively new and its support leaves a lot to be desired.

Comment

It’s always nice seeing new companies join the Linux kernel community.
      Last edited by intelfx; 21 August 2020, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Sounds like they aren't F'ing around. Props to Paragon. This will help a ton of upstream tech, and the aren't even a platinum member of the Linux Foundation, like those other guys.

Comment

I almost never need to access any NTFS disk partition, and when I do the FUSE driver works just fine, so I don't really need this.
          It feels like this is a bit late, I wish this was available over a decade ago.

By the way, is anyone working to mainline support for Apple's APFS in the Linux kernel?
          I know there was some code on GitHub for APFS support in the Linux kernel, as well as a FUSE driver.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Most existing smart TVs support fat and ntfs only. exFat is still relatively new and its support leaves a lot to be desired.
            I would expect exFAT to be supported by most somewhat recent TVs, as it's becoming the de-facto standard for large external hard-drives and SD cards.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post

ExFAT should also be a good option for this (and for external device support).
              In some (or even most) cases yes but lack of journaling can be quite problematic sometimes. When NTFS support will land in kernel, you will get journaled file system that is supported natively by both operating systems. It would be nice choice for storage.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                Does the code drop include utilities like CHKNTFS?
                If not can we expect them as well?
                An utility to check the integrity of the filesystem and fix errors is what i miss most for NTFS.
                the developer said that they planned to opensource mkfs and hopefully also fsck utility.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                  I'm now curios if Gparted could also benefit from this when creating NTFS partitions or resizing them which sometimes have to move some data around.
                  this is a filesystem driver, so no it won't. Gparted is just calling filesystem-specific tool applications to do the actual job. For NTFS it's ntfstools from the ntfs FUSE project.

Afaik they plan to opensource tools as well, but it's not part of the current code.

Comment

Originally posted by LinAGKar View Post
                    I would expect exFAT to be supported by most somewhat recent TVs, as it's becoming the de-facto standard for large external hard-drives and SD cards.
                    It IS the standard for SD cards bigger than 32GB. It's in the acutal specification

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      this is a filesystem driver, so no it won't. Gparted is just calling filesystem-specific tool applications to do the actual job. For NTFS it's ntfstools from the ntfs FUSE project.

Afaik they plan to opensource tools as well, but it's not part of the current code.
                      Ok, but maybe those filesystem specific tools like ntfstools could use this driver in the future when it moves data around the drive like when you resize a NTFS partition and it says that this operation could take a long time because it relocates data.
                      If they release some open source tools as well that would be great also, but if not, I appreciate anyway what they are doing.

Comment

Working...
                      X