Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paragon Sends Out Updated NTFS Driver They Want To Mainline For The Linux Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paragon Sends Out Updated NTFS Driver They Want To Mainline For The Linux Kernel

Phoronix: Paragon Sends Out Updated NTFS Driver They Want To Mainline For The Linux Kernel

Coming as a surprise last week was word of Paragon Software wanting to mainline their NTFS read-write driver as a significant improvement over the existing NTFS Linux kernel driver. An updated patch series for that much improved NTFS Linux kernel driver is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Paragon meanwhile is looking to mainlien "ntfs3" as their previously commercial NTFS kernel driver.

Comment

Great!
      I wasn't too excited about the ExFAT driver, but about this one, I can barely wait to try it.
      Hopefully no more performance issues, no more missing dates like the creation one and no more weird difference in bytes sizes between EXT4 and NTFS.
      Good job Paragon and thank you very very much!

I'm now curios if Gparted could also benefit from this when creating NTFS partitions or resizing them which sometimes have to move some data around.

Comment

Very interesting driver, maybe somebody could add a few compat lines to build it for older kernels via dkms. Benchmarks against ntfs-3g would be interesting too, with highend and lowend (Atom like or even Raspberry PI) systems. This driver most likely makes the commerical Tuxera NTFS driver obsolete - as you could use it for embedded devices too - there the fuse overhead is certainly much more important compared to desktop systems.

Comment

I really hope it will be accepted. There are not many options for common partition file system for Linux and Windows. Yeah, ntfs-3g exists but native driver should perform better than FUSE based.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            Great!
            I wasn't too excited about the ExFAT driver, but about this one, I can barely wait to try it.
            Hopefully no more performance issues, no more missing dates like the creation one and no more weird difference in bytes sizes between EXT4 and NTFS.
            Good job Paragon and thank you very very much!

I'm now curios if Gparted could also benefit from this when creating NTFS partitions or resizing them which sometimes have to move some data around.
            Gparted uses ntfsprogs, a part of the ntfs-3g project and no it won't benefit from a native NTFS driver at all.

Lastly, even if this driver gets mainlined we're still missing a crucial piece of the puzzle and that is a good filesystem checker. fsck.ntfs/ntfsck is mostly useless. Speaking frankly fsck.(v)fat terribly sucks as well. In theory someone could make Microsoft's chkdsk work under Linux/Wine but I haven't heard of any recent efforts to make it reality.
            Last edited by birdie; 21 August 2020, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Does the code drop include utilities like CHKNTFS?
              If not can we expect them as well?
              An utility to check the integrity of the filesystem and fix errors is what i miss most for NTFS.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                Does the code drop include utilities like CHKNTFS?
                If not can we expect them as well?
                An utility to check the integrity of the filesystem and fix errors is what i miss most for NTFS.
                FTA - "Paragon has yet to publish their user-space utility code for this driver."
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post
                  I really hope it will be accepted. There are not many options for common partition file system for Linux and Windows. Yeah, ntfs-3g exists but native driver should perform better than FUSE based.
                  ExFAT should also be a good option for this (and for external device support).

Comment

I'd be interested to see their apple drivers later as well

Comment

Working...
                    X