Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.9 Features New GPU Support To Numerous Security + Performance Optimizations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.9 Features New GPU Support To Numerous Security + Performance Optimizations

Phoronix: Linux 5.9 Features New GPU Support To Numerous Security + Performance Optimizations

Linux 5.9-rc1 is set to be released this evening in marking the end of the two-week long merge window where new features are introduced for the cycle.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Realtek 8125 kernel firmware added to 5.9 by suse dev (bugzilla)

Comment

At what rate does it classify as bloatware?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
        this being the affordable 2.5Gbps NIC chip that is turning up on all the Z490/B550/x570 motherboards in the last year.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
          At what rate does it classify as bloatware?
          Never. Linux source code is monolithic by design. What you can regard as bloated is the compiled kernel your distro provides downstream (but modular architecture does help in avoiding unnecessary code loaded in RAM). Anyway, you can always recompile it to fit your needs and not contain a single bit more than that.

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post
            Never.
            That's a bold statement...
            So, per your definition the size and structure of a codebase is never bloated?
            I guess we differ in how we define bloat.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post

That's a bold statement...
              So, per your definition the size and structure of a codebase is never bloated?
              No, that's only what you get when you strip the context from a sentence. I'm not talking about any codebase, only about Linux codebase, taking into account the rules for mainlining any line of code. A piece of code is accepted and kept upstream in Linux if at least:
              • it's good quality / there's someone maintaining it and using it
              • it's actually being used by some relevant FOSS project
              Given those rules, you can safely say that, in the Linux source code case, size does not imply bloat, because everything in there has got a good reason to be there (i.e. it's useful at least to someone contributing to the FOSS).
              Last edited by lucrus; 17 August 2020, 05:44 AM.

Comment

I'm also happy about this driver.
                To me it is strange that this commonly used 2.5GB/s Ethernet chip is supported just in some months...

Comment

me too.

i have an X570 tomahawk in my main PC using this NIC, and a B550-itx board waiting to go in a HTPC that has the same...

Comment

this being the affordable 2.5Gbps NIC chip that is turning up on all the Z490/B550/x570 motherboards in the last year.
                    And this is why I prefer as much Intel hardware as possible, I don't have to wait for months after hardware release for driver support.

Comment

Working...
                    X