Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paragon Looks To Mainline Their NTFS Read-Write Driver To The Mainline Linux Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kpedersen
    replied
    This is good news. What is in it for Paragon out of interest?

They sell a Mac version but did they not also sell a Linux build + support?

Leave a comment:

• pininety
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepsz View Post

The email has to be sent with "git send-email", by using an SMTP provider (like gmail). But at that time, gmail's SMTP was simply not working and not just for me... I had to register a new email address but in many free emails, SMTP can be enabled only after paying money... With the 4. email provider, I was able to send that damn email.
    What are you even talking about? SMTP is the protocol any Mail client sends email by, isn't it? Any email provider what allows for external mail clients has to allow. And you are saying you needed to go through 4 email providers to find one that uses it? Sounds more like aconfiguration issue on your part to me to be honest.

Other than that, I agree, personally I would also prefer a more modern gitlab style interface but I can also see why the kernel does not use somethign like that. EMail archives will be readable in 100 years, if you can still read your gitlab stuff which is sitting in some database in that time, I am not so sure about.

Leave a comment:

• gigaplex
    replied
    Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
    Why don't Linux kernel devs not use GitLab like normal people? Sending patches to mailing lists is stupid.
    You do realise that Git was originally developed by and for the Linux kernel devs? Let them use it how they want to use it.

Leave a comment:

• Nille
    replied
    Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
    That's what backups are for,
    thanks captain obvious. But that's won't fix the problem.

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
    I've had plenty of NTFS drive issues under Windows.
    And i'm not. So what now? Is it a excuse for a crappy driver that is slow and prone to errors? I think not.

Leave a comment:

• c117152
    replied
    Does it come with userland chkdsk substitutes? Does it cover the defragmentation service functionality? Does it let you deploy and boot linux from NTFS?

It's probably still better than the existing read-only driver but without chkdsk and defragmentation they should still default it to read-only.

Leave a comment:

• Slartifartblast
    replied
    Originally posted by Nille View Post
    i like that and i hope it gets merged to stating at least. i had some data loses with ntfs in the past and all the time the ntfs3g driver was the cause of this.
    That's what backups are for, I've had plenty of NTFS drive issues under Windows.

Leave a comment:

• ThoreauHD
    replied
    A trickle down effect will be non-destructive chkdisk/defrag and virus mitigation from a linux app. That would bolster a lot of rescue tools. Good development. I hope paragon does some hand holding on this code dump. It'll help everyone out in the long run.

Leave a comment:

• Nille
    replied
    i like that and i hope it gets merged to stating at least. i had some data loses with ntfs in the past and all the time the ntfs3g driver was the cause of this.

Leave a comment:

• Kepsz
    replied
    Originally posted by microcode View Post

I mean, a) why would they be normal? and b) mailing lists are a very efficient way to do this once you're set up for it. SourceHut is a brand new repo hosting service which basically runs on this process.
    "a very efficient way to do this once you're set up for it." - this made me smile

So far I did wrote one kernel patch to add a hardware specific quirk. Once I finished the patch, it took me days to figure out how to properly send it to LKML. The email has to be sent with "git send-email", by using an SMTP provider (like gmail). But at that time, gmail's SMTP was simply not working and not just for me... I had to register a new email address but in many free emails, SMTP can be enabled only after paying money... With the 4. email provider, I was able to send that damn email.

In my experience, two type of things exist in LKML world:
    -things that are not explained at all
    -things that way too much explained, like this: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...es.rst?id=HEAD

In short, it's quite hard for a newbie to get adjusted to that archaic LKML world. It is a great filter for lazy people. XD

Leave a comment:

• microcode
    replied
    Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
    Why don't Linux kernel devs not use GitLab like normal people? Sending patches to mailing lists is stupid.
    I mean, a) why would they be normal? and b) mailing lists are a very efficient way to do this once you're set up for it. SourceHut is a brand new repo hosting service which basically runs on this process.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X