Linux 5.9 Brings Safeguard Following NVIDIA's Recent "GPL Condom" Incident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.9 Brings Safeguard Following NVIDIA's Recent "GPL Condom" Incident

Phoronix: Linux 5.9 Brings Safeguard Following NVIDIA's Recent "GPL Condom" Incident

Stemming from the recent discussions over NVIDIA NetGPU code that relied on another shim for interfacing between NVIDIA's proprietary driver and the open-source kernel code, a new patch is on the way for Linux 5.9 to fight back against such efforts...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So NVidia wants to f**k the kernel without leaving it pregnant.

Comment

Originally posted by valici View Post
      So NVidia wants to f**k the kernel without leaving it pregnant.
      Semantically it's the reverse. They want to f**k the kernel without getting infected by GPL.

Comment

I'm really curious what this means to Canonical (ZFS) and Google (Android).

Comment

This is how shit companies like nvidia should be dealt.

Comment

So people pushing ideologies are once again making life harder for people who just want to use their hardware.
            I'm surprised BSD isn't getting more traction due to this, to then eventually just give up on Linux. Would save a lot of headaches.

Comment

Originally posted by BtbN View Post
              So people pushing ideologies are once again making life harder for people who just want to use their hardware.
              I'm surprised BSD isn't getting more traction due to this, to then eventually just give up on Linux. Would save a lot of headaches.
              You want a nation, and you want that nation to be free but you want no constitution that protects that freedom. Thats BSD. Thats why BSD failed.
              The GPL not just gives freedom, it protects it successfully.

All Nvidia would have to do is to mainline their kernel driver, they could still have their proprietary user-land driver with all the game optimizations and workarounds they want to protect. AMD does the same.

Comment

Ideologies matter a lot. it surely is hard to find the right balance in this game, but it is indeed very important.

Being a Taiwanese, I believe that Nvidia's CEO Jen-Hsun Huang would agree with me.

Comment

Originally posted by BtbN View Post
                  NetFlix has long been using FreeBSD.

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

You want a nation, and you want that nation to be free but you want no constitution that protects that freedom. Thats BSD. Thats why BSD failed.
                  The GPL not just gives freedom, it protects it successfully.

All Nvidia would have to do is to mainline their kernel driver, they could still have their proprietary user-land driver with all the game optimizations and workarounds they want to protect. AMD does the same.
                  BSD failed? When? Where? What are you smoking? FreeBSD is very much alive and kicking.

Comment

Only buy Intel and AMD, since 2012.

Comment

Working...
                    X