Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XFS Is Packing Many Improvements With Linux 5.9

Phoronix: XFS Is Packing Many Improvements With Linux 5.9

The XFS file-system has many improvements ready for the Linux 5.9 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There is any place yet for XFS given the competition of "modern" cows filesystem?

All that I read about XFS says: solid, classic.

Comment

Darrick doesn't work for IBM but Oracle

Comment

Originally posted by juarezr View Post
        There is any place yet for XFS given the competition of "modern" cows filesystem?

It's going to become CoW as well in a few years. https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...n-Write-Better

plus it already supports reflinks (again like Btrfs), which allows to deduplicate it online with tools like duperemove.

It's actually under quite a bit of development, unlike ext4, where development of "next gen filesystem" features does not happen.

Comment

Originally posted by juarezr View Post

XFS - My favourite high performance, bullet proof filesystem of choice from hard drives to modern PCIE 4.0 NMVe drives. It's just always so quick and stable and doesn't waste space like EXT4 and is consistently fast no buffer flushing etc when I spam them with updates like EXT4, exFat do. F2FS is nice but XFS is awesome.
          ZFS - My 2nd favourite and purely due to it's stability and snapshots. On my servers, anything else it's XFS.

Comment

Originally posted by dfyt View Post
            doesn't waste space like EXT4
            ext4 root space allocation can be disabled to reclaim the space
            Code:
            tune2fs -m 0 /dev/sda1
            the "0" is the percent of space you want to reserve for root. In this case 0% to remove the limit.

Comment

Working...
            X