Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Opens Patches For "METRICFS" That They Have Used Since 2012 For Telemetry Data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    If I'm going to get pummeled with ads
    yes, pummel me daddy.

So what are they going to do to me that's so bad in a way they will gain from it?
    I wasn't clear. I said that the data can be misread, and you can get screwed with no gain for anyone.

Like the children that end in no-fly-lists for USA as potential terrorists, or black people that routinely get mis-identified by AI image recognition software that apparently is trained only on white people.

People like you don't seem to put any thought into what you're afraid of
    Lol, I work in IT and I have a very basic programming background, so I know and I have seen this happening enough times. People trust software waaay too much, and this keeps leading to grievous mistakes.

Somehow a computer is more trustworthy than a person, and we forget that the computer is executing instructions written by the person, or is an AI and is therefore thinking on its own based on its own experience/training, like a person.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
    to "The nothing to hide"-folks:

I'm sure insurance companies, banks etc like your casual photos of you with your friends having some drinks and unhealthy food. once they spot such a pic each day it is becoming information of value. ..
    First of all, in some countries, that's illegal. Second, good luck to them finding my personal cloud server. Even if they did, I'm not vain enough to take selfies everywhere I go.
    ...oh you want to buy a house and you need a loan with that profile? sure how about 500k with 20%p.a.?
    I already own a house and don't plan to get another one any time soon, so I'm all set there.
    Isn't there already a algorithm calculating the amount of car insurance fee by the visual appearance of your neighborhood (google maps based) ?
    Yup and my insurance dropped by over $30/mo because of where I moved to.
    This assumptions are "ok" - morally very questionable especially if we will have to hide our self in the future to not been seen with the "wrong" rated people and not eating chips and rather pushing ourselfs each evening to do some workout so that our fitibit profile pleases our health insurance company ....sure I don't have to have a fitbit device but then my insurance will cost 30% more - freedom of choice.
    It doesn't take a fitbit to know if you're fit. If you're that concerned about your weight affecting your insurance policy, you need a major lifestyle change.
    What if some of your daily behaviours can be scientifically linked in a causal manner to a certain risk for your employer, health insurance, loan credibility.
    Pretty sure that's not legal where I'm from.
    I recommend you to watch black mirror.....some become already true at least in china. this
    I don't live in China and most western countries would heavily resist such a thing.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Yeah, you have nothing to hide.

It's not like the info they collect can be used in bad ways or read wrong, causing you issues.
    What is 1 good reason they would do that? They don't have my contact, bank, or government-level info. I don't store anything I remotely care about on any of their services, except my contacts and bookmarks (since that makes syncing them easy). So what are they going to do to me that's so bad in a way they will gain from it? I know you like to think otherwise, but I'm not special, and neither are you. They're not going to single me out in a way that matters, and if they sell my search data to a company, why should I care? If I'm going to get pummeled with ads, I might as well have them they be targeted (especially since that might incentivize me to look for less irritating competitors).

People like you don't seem to put any thought into what you're afraid of, which makes sense - fear is often driven by the unknown. I obey the law, I keep important things offline and secured, and I couldn't care less if someone wants to tap into my webcam and watch me fap. So really, honestly, why should I care about what they collect from me?

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    to "The nothing to hide"-folks:

I'm sure insurance companies, banks etc like your casual photos of you with your friends having some drinks and unhealthy food. once they spot such a pic each day it is becoming information of value. ..
    "computer says":
    .to 54.7% you have an alcohol issue ...or you will develop one in 5years with a 70% chances
    ...oh you want to buy a house and you need a loan with that profile? sure how about 500k with 20%p.a.?

Isn't there already a algorithm calculating the amount of car insurance fee by the visual appearance of your neighborhood (google maps based) ? this

This assumptions are "ok" - morally very questionable especially if we will have to hide our self in the future to not been seen with the "wrong" rated people and not eating chips and rather pushing ourselfs each evening to do some workout so that our fitibit profile pleases our health insurance company ....sure I don't have to have a fitbit device but then my insurance will cost 30% more - freedom of choice.

What if some of your daily behaviours can be scientifically linked in a causal manner to a certain risk for your employer, health insurance, loan credibility.

I recommend you to watch black mirror.....some become already true at least in china. this

But yes If you will conduct to all the recommendations of the apps and data crawler you are going to have a beautiful life.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Not that I care anyway. Google can go ahead and collect my data, as long as it doesn't make my life worse.

It's not like the info they collect can be used in bad ways or read wrong, causing you issues.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
    I.e: Google wants to upstream their private work, trying to shoehorn it as a standard because it exists for longer, reduce their own burden to maintain it instead of allowing an open from beginning code from RH becoming the standard and Google would have to deal with their legacy 😒
    FYI, all code that is upstreamed was once private.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    In some ways I'm thinking "oh that's nice, maybe now that we know how this all works, we can take off our tin-foil hats" but then I realized "Google probably isn't using the same code internally".

Not that I care anyway. Google can go ahead and collect my data, as long as it doesn't make my life worse.

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied
    Originally posted by bachchain View Post
    two of the big ones....do you offer beer aswell?

Leave a comment:

• yoshi314
    replied
    Originally posted by polarathene View Post

Doesn't Netdata and Prometheus cover that pretty well already? Both are quite capable of gathering system metrics and doing so with low overhead afaik. For containers, there's googles cadvisor (https://github.com/google/cadvisor), which you can collect stats from to Prometheus .
    yes, but prometheus pulls data from exposed metric endpoints. and this might offer a more lightweight way to get at them. the less middlemen the better.

Leave a comment:

• polarathene
    replied
    Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
    hm,, this might make monitoring of linux machines even easier. i wonder what sorts of metrics are exposed and can they be extended to cover e.g. containers.
    Doesn't Netdata and Prometheus cover that pretty well already? Both are quite capable of gathering system metrics and doing so with low overhead afaik. For containers, there's googles cadvisor (https://github.com/google/cadvisor), which you can collect stats from to Prometheus .

Leave a comment:

Working...
X