Btrfs Seeing Some Nice Performance Improvements For Linux 5.9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
    I hope they at some point will implement disk groups and the ability to assign subvolumes to it.
    i don't see how it will be different from separate filesystem on those disks with subvolumes assigned to it, which you could do now

Comment

Originally posted by mb_q View Post
      AFAICT this speedup is for doing fsync on a file accessed by lots of threads...
      i think it is for many threads/apps doing fsyncs in parallel

Comment

Originally posted by herman View Post
        It sounds like btrfs is going to get a lot more care and attention from devs now that Fedora is on board. Does Linus still use Fedora? Maybe this will help.
        Yes. In fact, his homonym from Linus Tech Tips recently built a workstation for him and installed Fedora 32 Workstation.

Comment

Couple of years ago I lost 2TB volume because of btrfs bug. and a tool to fix the fs made everything much worse. Now I do not treat it seriously, at least wont put there what I want to find tomorrow. This never happened with ext4. Probably things enhance with a time, but I’m just scary.

Comment

Originally posted by dev_null View Post
            Couple of years ago I lost 2TB volume because of btrfs bug. and a tool to fix the fs made everything much worse. Now I do not treat it seriously, at least wont put there what I want to find tomorrow. This never happened with ext4. Probably things enhance with a time, but I’m just scary.
            RAID or single disk? What kernel?

Comment

single disk. I don’t remember kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by herman View Post
                It sounds like btrfs is going to get a lot more care and attention from devs now that Fedora is on board.
                This stuff was already queued when Fedora was deciding to adopt btrfs, we will see if more people appear in a few months.

Comment

Originally posted by dev_null View Post
                  What distro? Ubuntu is known for btrfs horror stories. I've been following btrfs mailing list and a lot of the people asking for help are from some random Ubuntu LTS using older kernels.

In other distros like OpenSUSE where btrfs is default filesystem it doesn't blow up like that. Now also on Fedora will become first-class citizen.
                  Last edited by starshipeleven; 04 August 2020, 03:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gnulinux82

Are we supposed to be impressed?
                    Yes, yes we are.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      i don't see how it will be different from separate filesystem on those disks with subvolumes assigned to it, which you could do now
                      Right now there is not much of a difference, but in the long run this could allow for parity based raid where the stripes are on fast groups of disks and the parity on slower devices. And a disk failure could use a different group as spare space or redundant space. It works also make it easier to isolate metadata on its own controller for example. Plus migrationomigration data would not be across filesystems. It all boils down to flexibility.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Working...
                      X