Typos:
    command like options

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      command like options
      Michael are you OK? o-o

Comment

Originally posted by herman View Post

I'm sure their intentions are to make their life much easier, but as Phoronix noted in a previous article, there is a risk for more exploitation when containers are allowed to learn information outside of itself. It defeats the purpose of having containers in the first place. Microsoft appears not to be able to program without opening everything up.
        Please note you can already do that with LXC, Virtuozzo, Docker, etc. fiddling around with scripts, systemd patch simply allows you to do it a lot easier and precisely and securely(since you can choose exactly what to pass and what not very specifically).

Also note, that simply knowing the bare OS you won't open too much security issues if at all unless you expose that to the Internet nor allows any new form to bypass the container security into the bare OS.

If the person managing this cloud setups is even barely competent the bare OS is not accessible from the outside since it most likely reside in a private(as non internet access) section of the network, so stop panicking without reason.

Also this come completely disabled by default and need intervention to be activated(you actually have to make a table of key-pairs to pass to the container with exactly what you need ... read the code), so for the average user the risk is a massive 0%.

I hope to see the day when people before come and talk about something in Phoronix and how will break the world actually bother in reading the code, because they finally realized that any other way is simply irrelevant and a waste of CPU cycles for everyone involved ...

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post

Please note you can already do that with LXC, Virtuozzo, Docker, etc. fiddling around with scripts, systemd patch simply allows you to do it a lot easier and precisely and securely(since you can choose exactly what to pass and what not very specifically).

Also note, that simply knowing the bare OS you won't open too much security issues if at all unless you expose that to the Internet nor allows any new form to bypass the container security into the bare OS.

If the person managing this cloud setups is even barely competent the bare OS is not accessible from the outside since it most likely reside in a private(as non internet access) section of the network, so stop panicking without reason.

Also this come completely disabled by default and need intervention to be activated(you actually have to make a table of key-pairs to pass to the container with exactly what you need ... read the code), so for the average user the risk is a massive 0%.

I hope to see the day when people before come and talk about something in Phoronix and how will break the world actually bother in reading the code, because they finally realized that any other way is simply irrelevant and a waste of CPU cycles for everyone involved ...
          I was simply commenting based on the Phoronix article that says such measures can potentially lead to security risks.

Comment

Originally posted by nsklaus View Post
            "Systemd 246 is out today as the newest version of this dominant Linux init system.."

"dominant" --> anti-linux-like hydra monster spreading like a virus, tying itself onto system components like a python is constricting its prey, removing the freedom of choice from the user and thus denaturing linux from its base philosophy.

there, i've fixed it for you.
            the great thing about Linux is you can keep your own init system, if you want.

go make yourself useful to one of those other projects!

Comment

"Systemd 246 is out today as the newest version of this dominant Linux init system.."

"dominant" --> anti-linux-like hydra monster spreading like a virus, tying itself onto system components like a python is constricting its prey, removing the freedom of choice from the user and thus denaturing linux from its base philosophy.

You have a choice to change your distro, Devuan (there are others not using systemd) is possibly the place for you where you think have freedom of choice of init system but wait... you don't have enough freedom to choose systemd if you want. Maybe "Linux from Scratch" is for you if you really want Freedom.

Comment

Originally posted by rtfazeberdee View Post

You have a choice to change your distro, Devuan (there are others not using systemd) is possibly the place for you where you think have freedom of choice of init system but wait... you don't have enough freedom to choose systemd if you want. Maybe "Linux from Scratch" is for you if you really want Freedom.
                It's a very bizarre notion of "freedom" too. I don't know about this particular OP, but many of the "init freedom" people insist on being free to have a dysfunctional Linux-based OS and when they get it, they use Mac. To each their own I suppose. systemd is by no means flawless but I'm glad it's there to move Linux out of the stone age of *nix-style shell scripts and the associated VUA culture.

Comment

If it wasn't currently the best tool for the job, distros wouldn't have adopted it as the default... Nothing is a silver bullet, and systemd provides the best user experience out there when it comes to desktops, no need to manually tinker around to make everything working, and very much decent performance... However, it wouldn't be the best tool for embedded applications, but that's not the target of desktop distros.

Comment

Coming from Microsoft I assume the exposing stuff is by default and you have to opt-out if they let you.
                    Thank you very much Microsoft and systemd developers for this garbage!
                    I wonder when systemd will have a guideline like users' privacy and security first, not making money for corporations first.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                      not making money for corporations first.
                      This won't never happen, it is made by a corporation to make money first.

Comment

Working...
                      X