Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.9 To Allow Defaulting To FQ-PIE Queuing Discipline For Fighting Bufferbloat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.9 To Allow Defaulting To FQ-PIE Queuing Discipline For Fighting Bufferbloat

Phoronix: Linux 5.9 To Allow Defaulting To FQ-PIE Queuing Discipline For Fighting Bufferbloat

Flow Queue Proportional Integral controller Enhanced (FQ-PIE) that has been mainline for a while in the Linux kernel's networking code will now be supported as an option for the default queuing discipline (qdisc) with the Linux 5.9 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

um...looks like fq-pie does not support TSO/GSO peeling.

Comment

I wonder how well it stacks up against "cake". Cake has served me very well for years now.

I wish more (ALL) ISPs will pay attention to buffer bloat. Well actually everyone making networking equipment...

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
        I wonder how well it stacks up against "cake". Cake has served me very well for years now.
        I never got to used to cake. I have a linux box as both router and nas-box and cake couldn't cope well with that dual-role. fq_codel was better here. Perhaps it was a configuration problem on my end?

Comment

Originally posted by Spam View Post
          I never got to used to cake. I have a linux box as both router and nas-box and cake couldn't cope well with that dual-role. fq_codel was better here. Perhaps it was a configuration problem on my end?
          I have not use cake on fast links like NAS, so maybe its better suited for slow links.

Comment

Originally posted by Spam View Post
            I’m not an expert on traffic shaping but a few late thoughts:

cake is more processor intensive than codel, so if you were running it on low end hardware cake might have been too much.

Traffic shaping is more useful for congested, asynchronous links. Probably not necessary on the internal interfaces of a soho box. Did you have it running internally?

if you nas/router was based on a router some of them tie the internal and external interfaces onto the same bus and can’t separate the traffic shaping.

Comment

Working...
            X