Radeon RADV+ACO Vulkan Performance Is In Great Shape For Mesa 20.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon RADV+ACO Vulkan Performance Is In Great Shape For Mesa 20.2

Phoronix: Radeon RADV+ACO Vulkan Performance Is In Great Shape For Mesa 20.2

With the Mesa Radeon Vulkan driver "RADV" recently switching its default to the ACO shader compiler back-end that is developed with the support of Valve rather than the existing AMDGPU LLVM back-end that is the official open-source AMD shader compiler solution, here are some fresh Linux gaming benchmarks of the RADV driver on the in-development Mesa 20.2 comparing the now-default RADV+ACO configuration against that of the RADV AMDGPU LLVM back-end.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Starting with this article PNG graph fallbacks are removed and all SVG graphics are SVGZ compressed. Should yield faster page loads.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Starting with this article PNG graph fallbacks are removed and all SVG graphics are SVGZ compressed. Should yield faster page loads.
      If you want extra you can use zopfli instead of standard gzip to make the svgzs. Watching zopfli chugging away on 128 threads under GNU Parallel is a sight to behold.

Comment

God bless these developers, seriously!

Comment

Impressive how the 5700XT with ACO is about as good as the R7 without ACO.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            Amazing. Finally no more DejaVu Sans.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Amazing. Finally no more DejaVu Sans.
              I didn't change any font settings. Or were the PNGs coming in as sans? (Haven't checked lately to see what its default is as it checks from a list depending upon what TTF it finds on the server.) If the font of the SVG is coming in differently, presumably due to browser handling it differently in SVGZ format.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Michael I've been playing a lot of Mad Max with the Vulkan rendered and had huge issues with micro-stuttering, even on my new 3950X with 32 GB of RAM. Still with my R290 though.

The thing is that when I tried the same game with the same settings in Windows, I got a steady 60 fps consistently.

So I was hoping that perhaps ACO will solve those micro-stutters. You would be able to see those on your graph of frame-times, right?

It would be interesting to see you test that, even though you probably wouldn't be testing on a R290. But if you would test on that (perhaps together with a slew of older cards that still support Vulkan and ACO) it would be great! I'd give you a $10 tip, since I'm already a lifetime member

Comment

I am also curious how older gen GCN cards compare with ACO vs LLVM. There were many contributions in improving GFX6-7 support.

Overall, great results, thank you Valve! Thank you Michael for testing!

Comment

Azpegath are you sure that you are using vulkan? I can't test it right now, but iirc you should select vulkan on the launcher. With a lower end than yours, I got 60fps easily

Comment

Working...
                    X