No announcement yet.

systemd 246-RC1 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

btw.. after you do that.. journalctl --verify reports the journal is uncorrupted. So... I guess it doesn't really verify anything.

Maybe my corruption use case isn't valid. I'll try to only corrupt my data in systemd approved ways.
    Last edited by k1e0x; 10 July 2020, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

Systemd also needs syslog because alone it can't log to plain text and that is unacceptable. Sysadmins do not like proprietary log formats. If you want actual apples to apples then the end result needs to be the same.
      No, journalctl outputs the journal in plain text. The journal can forward reduced data records (i.e. only traditional syslog fields) to syslog if you configure journald to do it. syslog is optional and can act as a journald client using the APIs

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

That's probably why every large cloud provider has images and support for it. heh

It gets used for servers a lot more often in industry than you may think.. It doesn't get the hype tho because it's focus isn't on being a desktop.. I see you mentioned a lot of desktop stuff there. Have you looked at kqueue or blacklistd or pf or jails.. they are inferior to Linux equivalents.
        You rather meant inferior.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
          Well that's bad for SAP itself..
          But if they need a hand( a paid hand of course, no free lunch's to SAP.. ),
          Maybe they can find someone to port the installer, and create the necessary daemons..
          No, FreeBSD just doesn't scale.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
            No, FreeBSD just doesn't scale.
            Maybe that is why NetFlix uses freeBSD then..?

Comment

Maybe that is why NetFlix uses freeBSD then..?
              Maybe because they're more familiar with it? Or perhaps its slave license serves them better? If that was the case Google, Facebook, Youtube and dozens of others would be running FreeBSD. There's only Netflix, so your argument is against it. Did you ever see FreeBSD on 256 core+ server? Except in wet dreams? It's a legacy, toy OS with 'borrowed' features. Its development is nearly none. Imagine FreeBSD without borrowed ZFS, DTrace, Linux graphic stack, Linux desktop environments etc. Oh and Netflix doesn't exist without Linux.
              Last edited by Volta; 11 July 2020, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Imagine FreeBSD without borrowed ZFS, DTrace, Linux graphic stack, Linux desktop environments etc. Oh and Netflix doesn't exist without Linux.
                Linux desktop Environments??

Were do you saw that?
                Desktop Environment run in a plethora of systems, not only on linux..

Afaik they scale at least until 64 cores, I don't know if more..

And now you just Imagine Linux without the BSD network stack... were we would be today without it and other things?
                Even Microsoft used it on Windows XP, and I am not sure if they don't continue to use it..?

right..

Comment

Linux desktop Environments??

Were do you saw that?
                  Desktop Environment run in a plethora of systems, not only on linux..
                  Yes, but only Linux users work on them and only Linux users report bugs. There are some meaningless exceptions like 0.01%.

And now you just Imagine Linux without the BSD network stack... were we would be today without it and other things?
                  Even Microsoft used it on Windows XP, and I am not sure if they don't continue to use it..? right..
                  Linux network stack eats BSD for breakfast as usual:

Rank Performance Graph OS Outagehh:mm:ss FailedReq% DNS Connect Firstbyte Total 1 www.choopa.com Linux 0:00:00 0.000 0.238 0.004 0.020 0.020 2 Webair Linux ...

Windows xp networking is god awful, so it's rather weak recommendation.
                  Last edited by Volta; 13 July 2020, 12:01 PM.

Comment

You rather meant inferior.
                    All this tells me Volta is you haven't looked at them. Its pretty common thing in the Linux camp really.. declare superiority.. not know what else exists.. don't even bother looking.

Blacklistd is amazing, it modifies the system daemons so they can report login attempts directly to the firewall. Linux's equivalent? fail2ban, something that parses log files.. sometimes it gets it right, sometimes not. blacklistd does not parse logs, as parsing data from logs (from the internet) in general is a really bad way to go about it. Blacklistd is the solution, port it.

PF is a terrific firewall. The language is clear and simplistic, especially compared to NetFilter. You can collect raw packets off it's pflog interface using tcpdump or wireshark. It can do queuing, traffic normalization and reassembly and layer 7 filtering. It also includes on the fly adjustable dynamic tables. No wonder it was ported to everything except Linux (including macOS, where it is the default firewall.) After working with iptables and netfilter, PF is what got me to love BSD, it is way easier, more powerful and more flexible. You don't need a frontend to control it, or a script to build it's rules.

This stuff is permissively licensed, free for all to use.
                    Last edited by k1e0x; 13 July 2020, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Linux network stack eats BSD for breakfast as usual:
                      I don't agree with you, netflix, and Facebook also don't agree with you..
                      Its true that Linux network stack has made some progress but is far from good..

Windows xp networking is god awful, so it's rather weak recommendation.
                      [/QUOTE]
                      They copied bsd stack( like Linux ), but the implementation was not brilliant..
                      One thing they have done right, XP was the best Desktop ever, blazing fast, surprisingly comfortable to use, and so on..

Now compare it, with the "house of horror's" that is Linux for the desktop, with gnome, etc
                      XP had at the time, what Linux doesn't have even today, and will not have even tomorrow, on the desktop..

Each year we are far away from having good desktop's Environments..

Comment

Working...
                      X