Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• systemd 246-RC1 Released

Phoronix: systemd 246-RC1 Released

The first release candidate of the forthcoming systemd 246 is now available for testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Interesting that sleazy Microsoft introduced their change just before the release.
    Looks to me very similar to those bad people who pass new laws on Christmas day or at night so people don't have enough time to discuss and debate it or even notice it.

Comment

Danny3

Paranoid much?

Comment

Originally posted by arokh View Post
        Danny3

Paranoid much?
        I care about privacy and security, not how people call me.

Comment

According to my handy little lines of code counter today:
          systemd - 1.4 million
          runit - 15.3k
          openrc - 33.7k
          s6 - 24.2k

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
            systemd - 1.4 million
            runit - 15.3k
            openrc - 33.7k
            s6 - 24.2k
            Those numbers are meaningless in the sense that you are comparing systemd as system managerfor Linux kernel rather than a simple init.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

Those numbers are meaningless in the sense that you are comparing systemd as system managerfor Linux kernel rather than a simple init.
              I assigned no meaning, just posted the numbers.

Those of us running runit, openrc, or s6 are somehow surviving without systemd as the "system manager for the Linux kernel". I'm not sure how we possibly survive without it - must be some kind of black magic.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                systemd - 1.4 million
                runit - 15.3k
                openrc - 33.7k
                s6 - 24.2k
                The systemd count - is that just systemd, journald and udev or is it those 3 plus the rest of the project that is optional?
                You should also add syslog/rsyslog, udev (or replacement) to the others to get a better comparison to the systemd/journald/udev bundle. You have to compare apples with apples.

Comment

Originally posted by rtfazeberdee View Post

The systemd count - is that just systemd, journald and udev or is it those 3 plus the rest of the project that is optional?
                  You should also add syslog/rsyslog, udev (or replacement) to the others to get a better comparison to the systemd/journald/udev bundle. You have to compare apples with apples.
                  It's just the output of a simple browser extension that claims to count lines of code, pointed at a main github page for each. One was a mirror on github, I think it was runit. This is no attempt at a meticulous comparison, just a quick look at those 4 github pages.

Comment

Originally posted by rtfazeberdee View Post

Systemd also needs syslog because alone it can't log to plain text and that is unacceptable. Sysadmins do not like proprietary log formats. If you want actual apples to apples then the end result needs to be the same.

They could fix this and stop forcing "futurz awesom" on me.. but they won't.
                    Last edited by k1e0x; 09 July 2020, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X