systemd 246-RC1 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
    I don't agree with you, netflix, and Facebook also don't agree with you..
    Its true that Linux network stack has made some progress but is far from good..
    Facebook uses Linux in their datacenters. If you are referring to Facebook's acquisition of whatsapp, they've migrated from FreeBSD to Linux to match Facebooks ecosystem. Given this changeover likely happened several years ago, it's safe to say the switch wasn't disastrous and this conflicts with your claim that Linux has a non-competitive networking stack.

They copied bsd stack( like Linux ), but the implementation was not brilliant..
    Please provide evidence that the Linux network stack is a copy of the "bsd stack" and further show why it is "far from good".

Looking at recent FreeBSD developer summits, specifically their transport group, a lot of what they discuss is working towards parity with Linux's networking stack. For example adding RACK, BBR, NUMA awareness, and pacing. So really, where is the hard evidence that FreeBSD is far and away superior when it comes to networking?

Comment

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post
      Facebook uses Linux in their datacenters. If you are referring to Facebook's acquisition of whatsapp, they've migrated from FreeBSD to Linux to match Facebooks ecosystem. Given this changeover likely happened several years ago, it's safe to say the switch wasn't disastrous and this conflicts with your claim that Linux has a non-competitive networking stack.

(...)

Looking at recent FreeBSD developer summits, specifically their transport group, a lot of what they discuss is working towards parity with Linux's networking stack. For example adding RACK, BBR, NUMA awareness, and pacing. So really, where is the hard evidence that FreeBSD is far and away superior when it comes to networking?
      You are talking more about hardware support( kernel drivers ), for specific accelerators.. in that Area of-course Linux is on front..
      I am talking generically dsb stack always was superior..

Afaik, Facebook was using bsd in the frontend, and Linux in the backend..its also knows that Facebook has been contributing to try to improve network stack quality in linux, maybe they find a day, and check and they are on par already, I don't know the current status..

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post
      Please provide evidence that the Linux network stack is a copy of the "bsd stack" and further show why it is "far from good".
      Its a well know thing that the Linux network stack was based on bsd, the windows was also based on bsd, this are true.
      That doesn't mean that Linux copied the code from BSD, it means that the linux implementation was not so good.

Facebook come giving some help to Linux to help to improve Linux network Stack..
      This information is in the public domain and easily checked.. Michael reported here some times about Facebook aid..

A implementation based in something is different than copy the exact code of bsd.. but I still believe it could be there yet some bits.. because there are things that are faster in a way, and if you implement then in another way, it runs slower..

Comment

You are talking more about hardware support( kernel drivers ), for specific accelerators.. in that Area of-course Linux is on front..
        I am talking generically dsb stack always was superior..
        No, BBR, RACK, andsoftware pacing are not device drivers.

Afaik, Facebook was using bsd in the frontend, and Linux in the backend
        Where did you get this information from, I have seen nothing that indicates Facebook uses FreeBSD.

Its a well know thing that the Linux network stack was based on bsd, the windows was also based on bsd, this are true.
        Telling me it's well-known isn't providing evidence.

For the record, I agree that FreeBSD is a good OS and has a great networking stack, but I don't think it's really that much better than Linux's.

Comment

Working...
        X