Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

systemd 246-RC1 Released

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • systemd 246-RC1 Released

    Phoronix: systemd 246-RC1 Released

    The first release candidate of the forthcoming systemd 246 is now available for testing...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ystemd-246-rc1

  • #2
    Interesting that sleazy Microsoft introduced their change just before the release.
    Looks to me very similar to those bad people who pass new laws on Christmas day or at night so people don't have enough time to discuss and debate it or even notice it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Danny3

      Paranoid much?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by arokh View Post
        Danny3

        Paranoid much?
        I care about privacy and security, not how people call me.

        Comment


        • #5
          According to my handy little lines of code counter today:
          systemd - 1.4 million
          runit - 15.3k
          openrc - 33.7k
          s6 - 24.2k

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by andyprough View Post
            According to my handy little lines of code counter today:
            systemd - 1.4 million
            runit - 15.3k
            openrc - 33.7k
            s6 - 24.2k
            Those numbers are meaningless in the sense that you are comparing systemd as system managerfor Linux kernel rather than a simple init.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by finalzone View Post

              Those numbers are meaningless in the sense that you are comparing systemd as system managerfor Linux kernel rather than a simple init.
              I assigned no meaning, just posted the numbers.

              Those of us running runit, openrc, or s6 are somehow surviving without systemd as the "system manager for the Linux kernel". I'm not sure how we possibly survive without it - must be some kind of black magic.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                According to my handy little lines of code counter today:
                systemd - 1.4 million
                runit - 15.3k
                openrc - 33.7k
                s6 - 24.2k
                The systemd count - is that just systemd, journald and udev or is it those 3 plus the rest of the project that is optional?
                You should also add syslog/rsyslog, udev (or replacement) to the others to get a better comparison to the systemd/journald/udev bundle. You have to compare apples with apples.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by rtfazeberdee View Post

                  The systemd count - is that just systemd, journald and udev or is it those 3 plus the rest of the project that is optional?
                  You should also add syslog/rsyslog, udev (or replacement) to the others to get a better comparison to the systemd/journald/udev bundle. You have to compare apples with apples.
                  It's just the output of a simple browser extension that claims to count lines of code, pointed at a main github page for each. One was a mirror on github, I think it was runit. This is no attempt at a meticulous comparison, just a quick look at those 4 github pages.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by rtfazeberdee View Post

                    The systemd count - is that just systemd, journald and udev or is it those 3 plus the rest of the project that is optional?
                    You should also add syslog/rsyslog, udev (or replacement) to the others to get a better comparison to the systemd/journald/udev bundle. You have to compare apples with apples.
                    Systemd also needs syslog because alone it can't log to plain text and that is unacceptable. Sysadmins do not like proprietary log formats. If you want actual apples to apples then the end result needs to be the same.

                    They could fix this and stop forcing "futurz awesom" on me.. but they won't.
                    Last edited by k1e0x; 07-09-2020, 12:46 PM.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X