No announcement yet.

A Microsoft Addition For systemd 246 Exposes Host OS Information To Containers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Microsoft Addition For systemd 246 Exposes Host OS Information To Containers

Phoronix: A Microsoft Addition For systemd 246 Exposes Host OS Information To Containers

There is a last minute change from a Microsoft engineer to the upcoming systemd 246 that is now undergoing release preparations...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Where do i sign up for this systemd ?

Comment

Extend

Comment

What a bad idea. The whole purpose of a container is that is system-neutral and should run everywhere in the same way.
        I don't want to read about more and more containers that say "In order to run this container you must have Ubuntu 18.04" kind of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by nabero View Post
          Extend
          Yes, but this time we all get the new functions in upstream - thanks rms for the GPL

Comment

Originally posted by r08z

And that' exactly why stuff like this is being done. Get Microsoft involved - playing the "good guys" with Linux, meanwhile having NSA contracts with backdoors and other unthinkable Windows features that makes it easier for the government to spy on your Personal computer. It's called "Personal" computer for a reason and everyone should have the right to privacy on their personal computer.
            It just didn't sit well for the "powers that be" that GNU/Linux was just too secure, too private, and too robust. As we move into a more Microsoft/Linux ecosystem, Microsoft's shitty features are creeping in, slowly making Free Software's thread model equal to that of Microsoft's.

Don't reply me with bullshit I don't care to reply. People on this forum who think this stuff is normal and acceptable are cancers to the Free Software community and as code gets more and more shitty you will find yourselves looking for replacements in the near future. I hate you guys with a passion and wish you the worst in life.
            Why are you bringing this up, while at this very time there is a bloody war between robots and a clone army in tunnels between DUMBS (Deep Unterground Military Bases), and Reptilians are trying to upend the World Order.
            Are you part of them, trying to distract us? Is Kayne West a robot, a clone or a reptilian? Why is it a "bloody war" if robots are fighting?

Comment

exposing more host details to guests/containers can open up the system to potentially easier (more efficient/straightforward) exploit paths
              It just didn't sit well for the "powers that be" that GNU/Linux was just too secure, too private, and too robust.
              It's a good idea not to expose information that increases the attack surface but security by obscurity is never a good strategy.
              Last edited by slalomsk8er; 09 July 2020, 06:01 AM. Reason: fix typo

Comment

If there is one thing Microsoft is good at, it's exposing information...

Comment

And that' exactly why stuff like this is being done. Get Microsoft involved - playing the "good guys" with Linux, meanwhile having NSA contracts with backdoors and other unthinkable Windows features that makes it easier for the government to spy on your Personal computer. It's called "Personal" computer for a reason and everyone should have the right to privacy on their personal computer.
                  It just didn't sit well for the "powers that be" that GNU/Linux was just too secure, too private, and too robust. As we move into a more Microsoft/Linux ecosystem, Microsoft's shitty features are creeping in, slowly making Free Software's thread model equal to that of Microsoft's.

Don't reply me with bullshit I don't care to reply. People on this forum who think this stuff is normal and acceptable are cancers to the Free Software community and as code gets more and more shitty you will find yourselves looking for replacements in the near future. I hate you guys with a passion and wish you the worst in life.
                  Is there any possibility at all that this is not some sort of deep state conspiracy but merely a Microsoft Engineer attempting to ensure that containers running on Azure infrastructure can take advantage of Azure-specific features as necessary?

And FWIW, the feature is optional and can be turned off. It's merely meant to be a standard, controlled way to read (static) information about the host OS release.

(source: Pull Request discussion)
                  Last edited by ermo; 09 July 2020, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by adevur View Post
                    "In order to run this container you must have Ubuntu 18.04" kind of thing.
                    Yes but of course they will disguise it by saying that they need to do this to access one stupid little niche gimmick feature and everyone will accept it and think it is the best thing in the world and question every other community as to why their $(OS_OF_CHOICE) does not support it.

Comment

Working...
                    X