A Microsoft Addition For systemd 246 Exposes Host OS Information To Containers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by intelfx View Post

Are you trying to say that that Azure has no moral right to provide Azure-specific functionality to Azure customers?

I have to disappoint you, the world isn't communism. There are various businesses that provide various services to their customers, and it's a perfectly normal thing to do.
    Remember is an phoronix systemd discussion and most of those post are from the same trolls that have grasped every minor detail through the years trying to prove systemd is bad and lennart is the antichrist, hence most of those post brain off reactions and 99% of them didn't even read the code(or have the ability to).

For those actually curious about it, is an option not a default setting, so you actually have to edit your nspawn service file for the aforementioned container and actually add that line by hand.

Comment

Originally posted by adevur View Post
      The whole purpose of a container is that is system-neutral and should run everywhere in the same way.
      it can be true for your container, but it isn't true in general
      Originally posted by adevur View Post
      I don't want to read about more and more containers that say "In order to run this container you must have Ubuntu 18.04" kind of thing.
      then you should welcome this change. with it container will work on more hosts than one it was developed on

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
        Tell me again why containers that rely on certain Azure features are a good thing ?
        because they can take advantage of it?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          I don't see any valid reason why a container needs to know the details of the host.
          then you wouldn't use this information in containers you create

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
            any way to disable it?
            no, it will come after you every night

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post
              And FWIW, the feature is optional and can be turned off. It's merely meant to be a standard, controlled way to read (static) information about the host OS release.
              (source)
              Well,
              That is one big problem..
              Wasn't systemd trying to hide dmesg information, and such, from a regular user?
              Now you have a bunch of guys trying to sabotage that, and expose information about the OS to a container?
              wow..
              Wasn't the Idea of a container to run, without no one knowing what is beneath?

Another problem you report, saying the feature is optional, but for what is seems in *on by default*..
              If is optional, it should be *off by default*

Comment

Why the fuck systemd developers are accepting this kind of crap ?
                I'm assuming that is a rhetorical question, but if not, I'll venture a guess. A long time ago before systemd became the default init on all the big distros, there were a lot of people concerned that Poettering and Co's methods and attitudes towards development were too in-line with Microsoft developers, and that there was a danger of systemd turning into the "svchost.exe" of Linux. Fast forward to now, and we have senseless "features" being added to what has become the metastasized heart of most Linux distros by Microsoft devs with abandon, while the Mad Hatters gleefully ignore requests from sysadmins and grey-bearded experts to fix long existing production-breaking bugs in systemd.

In short, because systemd was always intended to turn Linux into the Windows of the UNIX-like world, we just didn't realize it until it was too late.

Comment

I don't see any valid reason why a container needs to know the details of the host.
                  How about you are running on an ARM system and you don't have a multi-architecture image? That seems to be a valid use case this would help address, and has nothing to do with Microsoft at all.

Comment

At first, I was cringing while reading this article. Then I remembered that I'm running Gentoo 64-bit and it doesn't use systemd at all. Halleujah!

Comment

Imagine getting on a airplane where the autopilot asked each passenger to help it decide where to fly to next.

Now Imagine Steve Ballmer of Microsoft gets on the plane and starts adding "improvements" to the autopilot.

The best part is they get to play it off as "Helping"

Comment

Working...
                      X