Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Microsoft Addition For systemd 246 Exposes Host OS Information To Containers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by ermo View Post
    And FWIW, the feature is optional and can be turned off.
    Yup. Sadly, the article doesn't make it clear enough that this is more of an optional feature.

    Comment


    • #12
      s there any possibility at all that this is not some sort of deep state conspiracy but merely a Microsoft Engineer attempting to ensure that containers running on Azure infrastructure can take advantage of Azure-specific features as necessary?

      And FWIW, the feature is optional and can be turned off. It's merely meant to be a standard, controlled way to read (static) information about the host OS release.
      Tell me again why containers that rely on certain Azure features are a good thing ?

      Comment


      • #13
        Is Microsoft good at anything than putting spyware everywhere ?
        Why the fuck systemd developers are accepting this kind of crap ?
        I don't see any valid reason why a container needs to know the details of the host.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by Raka555 View Post

          Tell me again why containers that rely on certain Azure features are a good thing ?
          Did you even read the Pull Request discussion I linked to? All the arguments are there. It's an enlightening read.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            Is Microsoft good at anything than putting spyware everywhere ?
            Why the fuck systemd developers are accepting this kind of crap ?
            I don't see any valid reason why a container needs to know the details of the host.
            It's not spyware. Read the Pull Requestion discussion I linked to if you want to understand why.

            Note that *every* cloud provider / user will be able to turn this on if they decide that this feature adds value to their use case (and they can also leave it off if they feel this adds more value for them). There is no Microsoft specific technology here, it's just a standardised way to read the host OS release/version where it makes sense to do so.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by Raka555 View Post

              Tell me again why containers that rely on certain Azure features are a good thing ?
              Because it enables Azure users to run their workloads that depend on Azure features using more standard tooling and less custom proprietary shit.

              Comment


              • #17
                any way to disable it?

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by intelfx View Post

                  Because it enables Azure users to run their workloads that depend on Azure features using more standard tooling and less custom proprietary shit.
                  Embrace and extend ...

                  It is good that their custom proprietary shit turns into a shit-show.
                  Last edited by Raka555; 07-09-2020, 10:15 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by Raka555 View Post

                    Embrace and extend ...

                    It is good that their custom proprietary shit turns into a shit-show.
                    Are you trying to say that that Azure has no moral right to provide Azure-specific functionality to Azure customers?

                    I have to disappoint you, the world isn't communism. There are various businesses that provide various services to their customers, and it's a perfectly normal thing to do.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by ermo View Post
                      Note that *every* cloud provider / user will be able to turn this on if they decide that this feature adds value to their use case (and they can also leave it off if they feel this adds more value for them). There is no Microsoft specific technology here, it's just a standardised way to read the host OS release/version where it makes sense to do so.
                      Imagine you have turned this feature off, and the container image doesn't start because you did.

                      Point is, reading the OS release/version inside a container can be easily abused to distinguish between paying customers and the scum of the earth.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X