Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reiser5 Pursuing Selective File Migration For Moving Hot Files To High Performance Disks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reiser5 Pursuing Selective File Migration For Moving Hot Files To High Performance Disks

Phoronix: Reiser5 Pursuing Selective File Migration For Moving Hot Files To High Performance Disks

Edward Shishkin continues pursuing development of new file-system functionality for Reiser5, the next-generation evolutionary advancement over the controversial Reiser4 file-system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Every Reiser thread:

Someone: He's a murderer.

Someone Else: STFU about that already. We know.

Yet Another: What's the killer feature this time? Hurp a derp lolz!!!

And Another: They should name it something else.

Me: So this will park it like it's hot, park it like it's hot

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      And Another: They should name it something else.
      And if they finally did that, those discussion would be over.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

End of thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

So you're telling me that the only thing stopping you from using Reiser4/5 is the name? I don't believe that. You will keep avoiding ReiserFS, even if it was named after you. And I think that goes for most people: ReiserFS doesn't have much to offer that others don't, so people won't be using it regardless of the name.

Comment

I really liked reiser4 when I played with it back when. I think it is really a next generation filesystem.
            Ext4 only now caught up with most of the features XFS had in 2000, so the ext(n) filesystems are really 20 year old technology.
            What is stopping me these days from using reiser4/5 is the fact that they are out of tree.
            Every time they touch the kernel, you have to compile everything again. I am a bit over that.

Comment

Same, I use to use Reiser4 quite a lot but also being a early adopter of many Radeon cards, I did need to stay bleeding edge for kernel quite often.
              I did port Reiser4 to some kernel version in the past but now i'm mostly using XFS.

News like that make me want to return to Reiser5, especially that I need that specific feature (currently using LVM for that)
              Last edited by RavFX; 05 July 2020, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Partition my wife

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
                  Partition my wife
                  If you're going to make stupid, insensitive jokes, at least get some original material..

Comment

Whatever happened to btrfs hot relocation? IBM posted patches and that was it...

Comment

Working...
                    X