XFS / EXT4 / Btrfs / F2FS / NILFS2 Performance On Linux 5.8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I thought it was supposed to be slow? Fellow Phoronix members keep saying that ext4 is supposed to be slow because the focus is on stability.
    Ext4 is actually probably the fastest one because it's fairly simple and straightforward.

Whenever I switched over from Ext4 to something else I found some "edge case" super-underperformance problem. Postgres would go 10% speed, SQLite would poop out, many small writes during compilation would kill the system or so.

Ext4 is consistently best from my experience. There's something funny here, I suspect Ubuntu patched themselves into a corner.

Comment

The graphics from page 2 and 3 is not showing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
        The graphics from page 2 and 3 is not showing.
        Server migration weekend, there is occasional brief downtime. Try again and should work.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Pretty disappointing results, considering that this is the fastest SSD available on the market.
          The startup times seem awful considering the hardware bandwidth, response time and IOPS.
          It looks to me that maybe the security mitigations wen too far or there are other regressions in he kernel or filesystems.

F2FS looks interesting, but I wonder if it has all the capabilities of EXT4, if one can safely switch to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post

Ext4 is consistently best from my experience. There's something funny here, I suspect Ubuntu patched themselves into a corner.
            ubuntu 20.04 isn't shipped with hte kernel 5.8. iirc there there some kernel 'improvements' regarding ext4 after the 5.4 kernel

Comment

Michael you do realise that space_cache is only left as legacy. space_cache=v2 should be used for all new installations.

Comment

Originally posted by Spam View Post
                Michael you do realise that space_cache is only left as legacy. space_cache=v2 should be used for all new installations.
                Default mount options were used, no manual options were set.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Any guess to why the COW filesystems are so bad at app startup? I would assume the issue is that need to write to several log/cache files, read performance aint bad, and checksums shouldn't cost that much.
                  Might make sense to try with
                  chattr +C /var/log /var/cache /var/tmp /home/$USER/.cache

(or do a strace to detect where most time is lost)

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

ext4 has very powerful file restore utilities unlike XFS which once gets corrupted or a file gets deleted accidentally, you're SOL.
                    I suppose. It's just that I never had a single issue with it during the years I was using it (except for the 32bit/ionode weirdness, which was more like sw compatibility issue).

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
                      Any guess to why the COW filesystems are so bad at app startup? I would assume the issue is that need to write to several log/cache files, read performance aint bad, and checksums shouldn't cost that much.
                      Might make sense to try with
                      chattr +C /var/log /var/cache /var/tmp /home/$USER/.cache

(or do a strace to detect where most time is lost)
                      Turn off atime. Don't turn off cow, it is a bad recommendation as it reduces the integrity.
                      Last edited by S.Pam; 13 June 2021, 04:50 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
                      X