No announcement yet.

XFS / EXT4 / Btrfs / F2FS / NILFS2 Performance On Linux 5.8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another *facepalm* for my decision to move all drives from XFS to EXT4, back when I got my first SSD.

Comment

Originally posted by pmorph View Post
      Yet another *facepalm* for my decision to move all drives from XFS to EXT4, back when I got my first SSD.
      ext4 has very powerful file restore utilities unlike XFS which once gets corrupted or a file gets deleted accidentally, you're SOL.

Comment

Originally posted by mroche View Post

Ubuntu 20.04, as stated in the build table. But I agree something’s up with Ext4, perceptually I’ve never seen it behave like these graphs report.

Cheers,
        Mike
        This is consistent with the type of trouble that's been reported with Ubuntu 20.04 since its release. Better to try it with Fedora or Debian or something without all of Ubuntu's file system problems.

Comment

Kernel 5.0 https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...esystems&num=1

Kernel 5.4 https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...hdd-raid&num=1

Kernel 5.5 https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ssd-raid&num=1

Also 5.5: ext4 vs f2fs on clear linux.
          Last edited by halo9en; 03 July 2020, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Michael do you happen to know how btrfs/zstd compression influences start-up time, especially for LibreOffice?

Comment

Originally posted by spirit View Post
              regression/bug in ext4 ???
              I thought it was supposed to be slow? Fellow Phoronix members keep saying that ext4 is supposed to be slow because the focus is on stability.

Comment

If this is not a stupid question, where can I find this benchmark results? I CANNOT see them for some reason.

Comment

[QUOTE=andyprough;n1190937]I'm assuming these were done with a Fedora install?/QUOTE]

Why would you "assume" that when the build table clearly states that Ubuntu was used?

Comment

[QUOTE=Vistaus;n1190953]
                    Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                    I'm assuming these were done with a Fedora install?/QUOTE]

Why would you "assume" that when the build table clearly states that Ubuntu was used?
                    I couldn't see the table. Many of the graphics here get blocked by my uMatrix extension and I did not know I was missing that graphic.

Comment

[QUOTE=andyprough;n1190958]
                      Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                      I couldn't see the table. Many of the graphics here get blocked by my uMatrix extension and I did not know I was missing that graphic.
                      Using uMatrix an Phoronix, eh? Don't you trust Michael?

Comment

Working...
                      X