Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Project Springfield" Is Red Hat's Effort To Improve Linux File-Systems / Storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    lvm snapshots are much slower than btrfs.
    Do we have data on that?

btrfs raid1 can autoheal
    I never have not had bit rot in a long time but I have been meaning to test if lvm raid 1 on Integrity setup will heal (I suspect so)

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
      NVMe controllers are doing a lot behind the OS back and its coming more and more possible to hit something that hurts badly
      More so than SATA SSD controllers? What would that be, then? Wasn't the whole point of NVMe to do less in the controller?

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
        Sure but AFAIK they are practically similar (both systems get slow with to many snapshots)
        BTRFS can operate on individual files or directories from a snapshot, whereas LVM snapshots operate on the whole logical volume only. In fairness though, I am not familiar with LVM that much, and there appears to be two kinds of LVM snapshots, so perhaps you can provide better insights there.

This mid 2018 article shows BTRFS snapshots vs LVM + EXT4 snapshots, where BTRFS performs better, and is apparently about database workloads (I only looked over the poorly presented figures and following paragraphs that analyze them.

Looking over my notes, there is a claim about BTRFS snapshots being possible to diff against, while the same isn't possible with LVM snapshots? openSUSE also provides boot to snapshot functionality with GRUB, useful if something goes bad and you're unable to boot into the system but can use a fallback snapshot without having to remember/reference a series of commands, which I imagine you'd have to do for similar with LVM?

I think BTRFS send/receive is also useful here for snapshots when syncing to another system, such as for backups. The notes don't reference LVM here but state it's faster and more efficient than rsync which I imagine is what you'd be using to achieve similar without BTRFS/ZFS?

Another note mentions LVM snapshots need you to reserve disk space for them underneath the filesystem. As I don't know much about LVM personally, perhaps you can confirm if that's more hassle to accommodate for vs having it as a native feature of the filesystem.

Just last week there were 12 bug fixes:

it's fine for most but a company will want to select a stable default to reduce support and maintain the image of providing a reliable product.
        Filesystems getting fixes isn't uncommon. Even EXT4 and XFS have had their own bugs in past year or two iirc which were to resolve data corruption problems, but beyond serious ones, you'll see plenty of minor fixes.

You're combining LVM with a filesystem yeah? What EXT4 or XFS? Did you bother to search those up on the list? They are still receiving fixes, does that mean they're not stable? Facebook uses BTRFS heavily(millions of servers apparently), data is very important to them, openSUSE defaults to BTRFS, they even removed the XFS home partition and are full BTFS now, even Google trusts it for ChromeOS and would use it for Android once native encryption can be supported. Some other companies that use it in production as well, including NAS products.

I know BTRFS has not been all that reliably years back, I evaluated it for a hardware product at an old job before and had to sadly reject it as it wasn't ready. All of the issues from back then have been resolved now afaik.

With LVM one can db and snapshot the same volume, one should not with alternatives (AFAIK).
        You can run the DB without CoW on BTRFS(since your database probably does CoW internally, I know Postgres does), and still perform snapshots on it. Not sure how that's meant to be worse than what you're referring to with LVM?

But if you want to shuffle file systems LVM is your friend and once you are already using LVM (and cryptsetup) the advantages of btrfs diminish. When btrfs gets encription and caching it will make choosing between it and LVM&friends easier..
        Maybe? I rarely need more than one filesystem, and if I do I can generally just put it on a new disk or I'm fine with sizing a partition for it. LVM generally is just more of a hassle in that case for me, and not compatible with BTRFS afaik(rather BTRFS can be problematic on LVM), so if I'd need to accommodate another filesystem beside BTRFS, LVM seems more hassle and overhead vs directly using the other filesystem.

If you're using LVM and happy with it, that's great I think the same applies that if you're already using BTRFS, the advantages of LVM diminish. Each have pro/cons right now depending on your needs. I think encryption and caching support have been said to be a bit challenging for BTRFS to support properly, so ZFS might be a better option depending how it's future pans out with Linux. Meanwhile this RedHat effort seems pretty interesting too.

Comment

Do we have data on that?
          I think they're referring to classic block level snapshots like I was. There's a "thin" type which is more performant, but I don't know the differences between the two types beyond that.

Comment

i use btrfs on lvm and lvm reduces btrfs advantages by zero amount(its snapshots and raids are inferior to btrfs). lvm just adds one unique advantage to btrfs
            That's apparently fine, as long as you're aware not to run into this gotcha, not that there is likely any reason to use an LVM snapshot if you're using BTRFS, should be fine to for any other filesystems on LVM though?(I haven't used LVM personally)

i have two separate btrfs filesystems on lvm to compensate for still existing limitation of only one raid level per btrfs filesystem.
            How's that work? Is BTRFS using it as two devices to write a copy of data to each? I thought BTRFS supports mixed raid levels? So you can have some data under RAID1/0 and some other with RAID-C3/C4?

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
              ...This mid 2018 article...BTRFS send/receive...
              as the first comment on that link indicates the test missed an option, nice to see some data though. there is lvmsync and an alternative but have not used them.

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post
                More so than SATA SSD controllers? What would that be, then? Wasn't the whole point of NVMe to do less in the controller?
                There are a few points here.

1. a Sata connection is slower. But the processing speed of the controller is in fact the same in Sata and NVMe versions, So SATA SSD has more processing time to deal with issues than a NVMe SSD. This is the first half of the problem.
                2. Next problem is 3-5 bits per flash cell in fact have slower writing speeds in fact slower writing speeds than the NVMe connection can transfer. So now NVMe is providing data to the storage device faster than it can in fact store in final storage. How do NVMe cheat they use areas of 1 to 2 bit per cell storage that are fast to write than transfer behind back to long term 3-5 bit storage behind the OS back. Of course what happens when that write buffer of 1 to 2 bits in fact get filled the nice stalls/miss behaviour. So your file system being faster in the OS can in fact be a downside as this can result in providing data to the NVMe faster than it can safely process.

3-5 bits per cell write speed is still faster than SATA connection can provide. So Sata controller has more processing time to deal with problems due to slower transfer rate of sata and the flash storage 3-5 bits per Cell is still technically fast enough for Sata. Where the NVMe connection high transfer speed gives bugger all time to deal with issues and modern day flash storage the 3-5 bits per Cell versions is technically too slow to deal with NVMe transfer speeds and to bench mark well the controller is basically borrowing from peter to pay paul by using 1 to 2 bit flash storage to temp store writes and crossing fingers that the workload slows off that it can catch up..

Modern day NVMe drives using 3-5 bits per Cell basically have all the same problems as device managed SMR without the options of SMR to switch to host managed or host aware to inform the block device/file system what is going on. So currently the file system and block device above the NVMe cannot know if it pushing the NVMe too hard until it stalls out or miss behaves somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
                  Stability? BTRFS is pretty stable these days, are you biasing this based on issues from years back or features that are marked as unstable(RAID 5/6)?
                  Says who? Check out their official documentation. Their own answer is "Maybe" - and that's after more than a decade in development. No other filesystem is so milquetoast about their stability. Then they go on a diatribe and talk about waving magic sticks to make it bug free. No one expects it to be bug free - but after a decade in development people do expect them to be able to declare it just as stable as other filesystems.
                  Last edited by gbcox; 01 July 2020, 10:35 PM.

Comment

This may be the most recent from Phoronix, not sure. As you can see perf issues across the board for NVMe.
                    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...esystems&num=2

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                      This may be the most recent from Phoronix, not sure. As you can see perf issues across the board for NVMe.
                      https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...esystems&num=2

That is if you are using a Optane 900p 280GB that is a single bit per cell NVMe. So no that is not a test for general across the board performance with NVMe but only for single bit NVMe stuff. This is not the type of NVMe that you find that you put into m.2 slots.

Comment

Working...
                      X