Some Open-Source Projects Begin Quickly Working Towards macOS ARM64 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    For laptops/iMac, yes, for a high end CPU in the Mac Pro, not really.
    The cores in the Mac Pro are the same core family (Skylake) as everywhere else in Apple's x86 product line. There's just more of them (and they have AVX-512 and a slightly different cache hierarchy.)

Benchmarks have pretty consistently shown that Apple's cores exceed the perf of Intel's cores at iso clock by a substantial margin. Unless they just can't clock above 3GHz or something, Apple should have no issue replacing Intel. For the Mac Pro, the main question would be economic (doing a large, high-core-count chip isn't cheap, and the Mac Pro doesn't move in terribly high volume; a chiplet approach, therefore, is plausible.)

Comment

I just don't understand why they insist on treating their Mac-Pro customers so... selectively.
      Like they want to discourage software developers to use it.
      Newer versions of OSX has gotten progressively more difficult to develop on. Latest version breaks openssl in a spectatular way. Much of homebrew is working around Apple's senseless changes.

So I feel sorry for open source projects having to waste time and resources on having to keep up with "progress" like this. Bad enough that they have to keep up with legitimate progress like compliler updates.

Comment

This year expecting at least MacBook Air on ARM, maybe MacMini on ARM too (especially since devkit was built in its chassis), maybe MBP 13" also. But Apple also claimed, that more x86 on the roadmap this year. Rumors say that can even be AMD

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
          This year expecting at least MacBook Air on ARM, maybe MacMini on ARM too (especially since devkit was built in its chassis), maybe MBP 13" also. But Apple also claimed, that more x86 on the roadmap this year. Rumors say that can even be AMD
          Apple said more Intel coming, not more x86 coming.

Rumor is that iMac and MBP are the first systems to move to ARM.

Comment

Seems like I'm reading the Mac fan club forum today. Hope you folks realize that GNU/Linux won't have good support for whatever new hardware is involved for another 5+ years like usual.

Comment

So you will be able to compile for macos arm from a intel computer? x-code etc?

Comment

Nobody sane will buy this crap.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                  Hope you folks realize that GNU/Linux won't have good support for whatever new hardware is involved for another 5+ years like usual.
                  We are used to that. I was interested in buying one and leaving it in storage until a time when the hardware support is there. I have generally done this for most of my machines in order to use "brand new" hardware. It isn't really a problem for me personally.

So that is why I am interested in knowing if Apple will even let us boot alternative operating systems. Otherwise it is a useless paperweight clogging up storage for the next 5 years haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Dawn View Post
                    The cores in the Mac Pro are the same core family (Skylake) as everywhere else in Apple's x86 product line. There's just more of them (and they have AVX-512 and a slightly different cache hierarchy.)
                    laptop parts have a different power management profiles in-hardware as the emphasis is lower power consumption. You can't expect the same performance of a desktop part.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
                      Nobody sane will buy this crap.
                      haha, jokes on you.
                      nobody sane buys apple

Comment

Working...
                      X