Some Open-Source Projects Begin Quickly Working Towards macOS ARM64 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Open-Source Projects Begin Quickly Working Towards macOS ARM64 Support

Phoronix: Some Open-Source Projects Begin Quickly Working Towards macOS ARM64 Support

Following the announcement last week that future Apple computers will use in-house ARM-powered chips, some open-source projects have already begun prepping for the future ARM64-supported macOS 11...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looks like the people at Codeweavers saw the light last year (or got tipped off) when they decided to port WINE to ARM.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
      Looks like the people at Codeweavers saw the light last year (or got tipped off) when they decided to port WINE to ARM.
      It wasn't really a strong secret, for those in the industry anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
        True but that can only go so far. For example it will allow Wine's notepad to run because that will be compiled for ARM but x86 Windows software still needs translation (i.e via qemu-static).

I am just hoping that the new Apple machines wont be locked down pieces of consumer shite and will allow us to boot aarch64 BSD or Linux. It would be nice to have a proper source of aarch64 laptops. For example, Pinebook apparently sells hardware "as a service to the community" but makes no claims about reliability etc. Likewise the Windows RT hardware was actually very nice but was criminally locked down, all the way to the landfill.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

True but that can only go so far. For example it will allow Wine's notepad to run because that will be compiled for ARM but x86 Windows software still needs translation (i.e via qemu-static).

I am just hoping that the new Apple machines wont be locked down pieces of consumer shite and will allow us to boot aarch64 BSD or Linux. It would be nice to have a proper source of aarch64 laptops. For example, Pinebook apparently sells hardware "as a service to the community" but makes no claims about reliability etc. Likewise the Windows RT hardware was actually very nice but was criminally locked down, all the way to the landfill.
          The current Windows/ARM laptops can run Linux, although hardware support is iffy (although it's been improving.) I expect similar to be the case with the Apple machines; rumor is that secure boot can be disabled, but I wouldn't expect there to be Linux drivers for Apple's custom GPU, etc, any time soon.
          Last edited by Dawn; 29 June 2020, 09:34 AM.

Comment

will macos work only on apple's arm cpu?

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
              I would expect that eventually that will be the case. At some point the last x86 Macs will be EOL at which point macOS will be ARM only. That said, I can't see them moving the Mac Pro to ARM any time soon, so it'll probably be a while.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderbird32 View Post

I would expect that eventually that will be the case. At some point the last x86 Macs will be EOL at which point macOS will be ARM only. That said, I can't see them moving the Mac Pro to ARM any time soon, so it'll probably be a while.
                Two years is the stated timeline.

Apple's cores are strong enough that they could do so if they wished basically now. It's just a question of when the economics justify doing a large die for a relatively low volume product like the Pro.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
                  It's very possible, just as you cannot run iOS outside of iPhones/tablets/whatever because of security measures

Comment

Originally posted by Dawn View Post
                    Apple's cores are strong enough that they could do so if they wished basically now.
                    For laptops/iMac, yes, for a high end CPU in the Mac Pro, not really.

Comment

Working...
                    X