Bcachefs Linux File-System Seeing Performance Improvements, Other Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flower View Post
    That said i actually like bcachefs and would like to use it.
    do you like bcachefs, or claims of it author? and current one or future fantasy?

Comment

Originally posted by lyamc View Post
      This is really interesting.

Either I believe JustinTurdeau or starshipeleven and think that btrfs has never had any issues with anyone ever and it's only ever used error.

Or I believe duby229 and think that btrfs can still have issues that corrupts data.
      That's not my argument. I'm just disproving his bullshit claim that "btrfs always corrupts itself when doing a balance".

If your system does that with CURRENT btrfs, you have a hardware issue, period.

I'm assuming duby229 is using something else which is stable for him.
      Probably Windows.

In my case, I've only run into three filesystem issues. JFS on old hardware, EXT4 corruption bug, and BTRFS.

The difference is that the EXT4 corruption bug didn't destroy all my data, and JFS didn't destroy any data, it just slowed down really bad.
      I started using btrfs in 2018 when I migrated a couple PCs and a server to OpenSUSE (first class btrfs support was one of the main reasons I chose OpenSUSE), and so far I've not seen any horror story, and it has survived some pretty intense abuse by me, yanking the power from the PSU that powers the drives in the array, or forcing power off when the PC locks up (OOM issues, unrelated to btrfs), disconnecting drives by mistake while it's operating while I'm moving other hardware in the case....
      I run a full scrub, balance and dedup weekly (where applicable anyway, not all systems have it in RAID mode).
      All drives/arrays use zstd compression algorithm.
      Never used RAID5/6 though.
      Last edited by starshipeleven; 01 July 2020, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        lol, are those stability claims for current state or for some imaginary future version? then every filesystem is rock-solid in some far bright future
        Not seeing how making claims about intents is bad. You want to see the original claims for btrfs? It was supposed to be much cooler than it probably will ever be, as someone grossly underestimated the complexity of dealing with stripes (raid5/6 mode).

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
          Nonsense. FS that won't eat your data" clearly relates to future point of introduction.
          so who faster will reach future point of "FS that won't eat your data" - one guy on donations, or dozen of full-time developers?
          You shouldn't expect that from a product that hasn't made its way into official kernel .
          and you shouldn't be excited about something which doesn't exist
          For what it is, it looks GREAT. I like it.
          what it? website? unsubstantiated claims about future? source code with botched rebases?
          If I weren't unemployed ATM, I'd definitely send a few € his way.
          and if you were less gullible, you wouldn't
          As with any great idea, this FS is obviously facing some resistance on its way, but I don't doubt it has a great potential.
          there's no resistance. fs doesn't exist(you said that). there's some guy hyping clueless people for donations. current in-tree filesystems have much greater potential
          It checks so many boxes on my wishlist and so many options that are not likely to be found on ext4 & Co. in foreseeble future.
          sadly your wishlist is missing "no bullshit" check box
          It's obvious that this is fruit of the real engineering and experience and not merely a programing masturbation.
          are you even a programmer? did you look at sources?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            Not seeing how making claims about intents is bad.
            the bad thing happens when average imbecile thinks that others don't have such intents
            You want to see the original claims for btrfs? It was supposed to be much cooler than it probably will ever be, as someone grossly underestimated the complexity of dealing with stripes (raid5/6 mode).
            i.e. all you can come up with against btrfs is raid56? ok. btrfs raid56 was copied from block level raid and inherited its stability issues. so btrfs doesn't have raid56 atm. but no other fs has it anyway, so there's no competition. it isn't fixed yet because there's no demand for it(not forum poster demand, demand with money to pay for development). i'm sure it will be fixed eventually, right now use raid1, it will be faster as a bonus point

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              do you like bcachefs, or claims of it author? and current one or future fantasy?
              i like it claims. but i would verify them as soon as it hits mainlain

Comment

Can you please stop pretending to not understand how announcements about future milestones work?
                i don't understand imbeciles who judge software based on announcements about future milestones. everything works in powerpoint

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post
                  i like it claims. but i would verify them as soon as it hits mainlain
                  if i double all his claims, will you pay me?

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
                    Yeah? Maybe cases don't reach actual bugzilla because users give up before devs get around to address their case year-two later.
                    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/516753-Corrupted-BTRFS
                    maybe you shouldn't compare unwritten piece of shit to filesystem 4 years ago?
                    and btw your link is funny, it has nothing to do with btrfs, just some clueless user. was it you?

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                      I guess you think most drives are problematic then?
                      somehow you see no problems thinking you are the only one who tried to balance btrfs

Comment

Working...
                      X