RHEL Deprecating The Virt-Manager UI In Favor Of The Cockpit Web Console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RHEL Deprecating The Virt-Manager UI In Favor Of The Cockpit Web Console

Phoronix: RHEL Deprecating The Virt-Manager UI In Favor Of The Cockpit Web Console

The upstream virt-manager project including the virt-manager user-interface is still being maintained, but Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 has decided to deprecate the virt-manager UI moving forward...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Seriously? That's very annoying. I'd need to run a web server to manage VMs now instead of a normal UI??? I hope someone will still develop it. Very not smart move.

Comment

This is quite annoying. With the rise of COVID-19, I have been using the virt-manager ui to fire up a Windows VM to login to work. I hope fedora does not drop the virt-manager UI from it workstation spin.

Comment

virt-manager also handles LXC containers too. I don't think Cockpit does.

I tried Cockpit last year and it was weak, and continued on with virt-manager, but perhaps they have improved it.

Time to check it out (again).

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
          Seriously? That's very annoying. I'd need to run a web server to manage VMs now instead of a normal UI??? I hope someone will still develop it. Very not smart move.
          I can understand putting emphasis on Cockpit, because - with proper authentication and authorization systems in place - it's probably easier to manage remotely than using VNC or something for virt-manager.

But I don't understand deprecating virt-manager.

Comment

i am afraid that long term virt-manager isnt properly maintained. i dont care much about the redhat family, but i love virt-manager as a slick vm management tool.

Comment

I understand wanting to move everything into Cockpit, but virt-manager is pretty dope.

Comment

Learn the libvirtd command line tools. They're as dope.
                will say though, loading a disk image for something obscure through a web interface definitely seems like a step backwards.

Comment

Hope the lead developer don't stop to develop it. I use it often to easly manage alot of VM's.

Comment

Oh man this is sucky news! Can one of the other distros pick it up? I love LibVirt and I used it almost daily to manage all the machines on both my home and business network. Its a really well done tool.

Comment

Working...
                    X