Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dav1d 0.7.1 AV1 Decoder Boosts 32-bit Arm Performance By ~28%

Phoronix: dav1d 0.7.1 AV1 Decoder Boosts 32-bit Arm Performance By ~28%

For those trying to carry out AV1 video decoding on a 32-bit Arm environment, the new dav1d 0.7.1 decoder should be a heck of a lot faster...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

@Michael

Maybe some (improvement) numbers for SSE2 optimizations for those on older x86?

Comment

Originally posted by nuetzel View Post
      @Michael

Not worthwhile, I don't think I have any such systems still commissioned.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

how about x86-64 ?

Comment

What about ARM64? Although there's absolutely nothing wrong with the optimizations made, 32-bit ARM is now a dying breed. I figure any future 32-bit ARM CPUs are going to be primarily stuff like the Cortex-M series, which aren't really built to handle a full-blown OS.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            What about ARM64? Although there's absolutely nothing wrong with the optimizations made, 32-bit ARM is now a dying breed. I figure any future 32-bit ARM CPUs are going to be primarily stuff like the Cortex-M series, which aren't really built to handle a full-blown OS.
            As far as I know, NEON support is optional (but these days almost always present) in ARM32, but required in ARM64, but has no significant changes. So ARM32 optimizations very likely are effective also on ARM64.

Comment

Regarding NDI, I wonder if there is any open source support for svc (scalable video coding, or adaptative video bitrate, if you prefer)? I don't know whether this is used in NDI, but here is my wishlist:
              • A SVC-comaptible container format
              • A SCV-compatible VP9/x264/AV1 encoder
              • A compatible decoder
              My use-case is for platforms like Peertube. If you know of any usable open-source library, please let me know. I found a few svc references in the libaom code (maybe in the release notes as well?) But I'm not sure it can be actually stored on-disk in one file, and if dav1d is capable of decoding it?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Not worthwhile, I don't think I have any such systems still commissioned.
                That's strange. We are regular people and we have them. You're a tech hoarder and you don't. What the hell?

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

That's strange. We are regular people and we have them. You're a tech hoarder and you don't. What the hell?
                  Commissioned is the key word. I have some in boxes somewhere, but not worth the time to find / dig them out, assemble a working system, and run the benchmarks for what would just be a 1 or 2 page article of interest to likely a minority of readership.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by nuetzel View Post
                    @Michael

The "newest" of CPUs from AMD that would utilize an SSE2 codepath is almost 9 years old. Who the hell is going to have a system that old still running even for testing purposes?

Comment

Working...
                    X