Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eight Features Not In Linux 5.8 From The DirectX Kernel Driver To FSGSBASE & DAMON

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eight Features Not In Linux 5.8 From The DirectX Kernel Driver To FSGSBASE & DAMON

Phoronix: Eight Features Not In Linux 5.8 From The DirectX Kernel Driver To FSGSBASE & DAMON

Linux 5.8 is shaping up to be one of the biggest kernel releases ever and while there are many new Linux 5.8 features, here is a look at some prominent and recently discussed material that didn't make the cut this cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well I for one am deeply disappointing that that they didnt just welcome the DirectX patches with open arms... and maybe even add the Windows 10 EULA as an appendix to GPL! </sarcasm>

It will be a very frosty day in the under world before I see upstream accepting the Microsoft shim software to allow their closed source ecosystem to connect. As much of a fan boy I am of Nvidia and their closed source driver... at least it contributes to Linux running well, unlike this one that simply enables windows to consume more of Linux to try to make itself relevant.

Comment

If I were Linus, I would not accept DirectX patches at all.
      Why should the kernel be bloated with this just because Microsoft with their vendor lock-in doesn't want to use an already supported open standard like Vulkan ?
      Microsoft can keep their patches out of tree and just patch their modified version of the kernel when they needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        Why should the kernel be bloated with this just because Microsoft with their vendor lock-in doesn't want to use an already supported open standard like Vulkan ?
        Microsoft can keep their patches out of tree and just patch their modified version of the kernel when they needed.
        The only exception to this, would be if MS fully open sourced the DirectX library, user space and kernel. I mean there is a precedence for this, they fully open sourced M$ Calculator.... https://github.com/microsoft/calculator ... hey look its even failing to build on their own Azure platform... that checks out!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          MS is one of biggest devs at linux foundation, they even maintain the stable kernel series now

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

MS is one of biggest devs at linux foundation, they even maintain the stable kernel series now
            When you are running one of the biggest cloud platform that relies mainly on Linux, it's not very surprising to maintain a stable version of the kernel.

Comment

It looks like Nvidia has began open sourcing a large chunk of their driver. These patches were just posted: https://bit.ly/2YaemDs

Comment

Originally posted by doublez13 View Post
                It looks like Nvidia has began open sourcing a large chunk of their driver. These patches were just posted: https://bit.ly/2YaemDs
                Funny.

Comment

I think you are wrong here or I'm just stupid as usual

Comment

People forget the 90s and forget what Bill Gates and Microsoft goals really are. Make use of Linux to try to make itself relevant whenever it can.

Comment

Working...
                    X