X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laughing1
    replied
    Originally posted by discordian View Post
    Still no zstd support for kernel or initrd. Sigh.
    Yeah that would be very nice to have.

Leave a comment:

• GraysonPeddie
    replied
    Originally posted by strtj View Post

Of course! I have been to the Carousel of Progress. My point isn't that technology shouldn't advance, and won't, but that we can be satisfied with what is available now while still looking forward to the future.
    Technology must advance. We can't stop progress.

Leave a comment:

• muncrief
    replied
    Okay, other than the ext4 problem fixed by the patch in Comment #3 the only other issue I've had with 5.8-rc1 is the rtl8812au dkms driver for my Edimax AC-1200 adapter. I created a patch that appears to fix it and posted it at https://github.com/aircrack-ng/rtl8812au/issues/658 for the developers.

Leave a comment:

• strtj
    replied
    Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post

Ever heard of Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress?
    Of course! I have been to the Carousel of Progress. My point isn't that technology shouldn't advance, and won't, but that we can be satisfied with what is available now while still looking forward to the future.

Leave a comment:

• GraysonPeddie
    replied
    Originally posted by strtj View Post

Is < 100 seconds on a $200 processor really not enough for you? A Ryzen 3600 works just fine for me and is only 65W. https://openbenchmarking.org/showdow...d-linux-kernel

Even my now somewhat aging i7-4790 compiles my real-world kernel (what I use on a desktop/development system every day) from a clean start in eight minutes and that's on a lightly loaded machine running a standard desktop environment. Who doesn't have eight minutes to spare?
    Ever heard of Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress?

Leave a comment:

• strtj
    replied
    One day in the future, the kernel will take less than 10 seconds to compile with power consumption at less than 95 watts. One day we can have a very efficient processor at a nice price premium of $750 or less.
    Is < 100 seconds on a $200 processor really not enough for you? A Ryzen 3600 works just fine for me and is only 65W. https://openbenchmarking.org/showdow...d-linux-kernel

Even my now somewhat aging i7-4790 compiles my real-world kernel (what I use on a desktop/development system every day) from a clean start in eight minutes and that's on a lightly loaded machine running a standard desktop environment. Who doesn't have eight minutes to spare?

Leave a comment:

• discordian
    replied
    Still no zstd support for kernel or initrd. Sigh.

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied
    One day in the future, the kernel will take less than 10 seconds to compile with power consumption at less than 95 watts. One day we can have a very efficient processor at a nice price premium of $750 or less.
    In case you haven't noticed, they keep adding more optimizations and passes to the compiler simply because there's room for some extra processing thanks to improvements in hardware. If you want to compile fast, just use some minimal C compiler. C is also a horrible language when it comes to parsing and incremental compilation.
    Last edited by caligula; 15 June 2020, 05:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GraysonPeddie
    replied

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied
    Mentioning Linus AMD purchase in this context....does this mean, Kernel Release Size was bottlenecked by his lame Intel rig before?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X