Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.8 Lands A General Notification Queue

Phoronix: Linux 5.8 Lands A General Notification Queue

Merged this weekend ahead of Linux 5.8-rc1 is the long-standing work on introducing a general notification queue for the kernel. The general notification queue was pushed back last year from merging but now the initial code is in shape for Linux 5.8...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...fication-Queue

Is this going to feed D-BUS?

Comment

Is this going to be like websockets?

Comment

Originally posted by HarlemSquirrel View Post
        Is this going to be like websockets?
        websockets are for bi-directional communication, this only appears to be in one direction. What had you thinking this? Wouldn't something like unix sockets be similar to websockets instead?

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

websockets are for bi-directional communication, this only appears to be in one direction. What had you thinking this? Wouldn't something like unix sockets be similar to websockets instead?
          I was thinking of the pub/sub model that can be set up with websockets that can replace the need to repeatedly query an endpoint for updates. But yeah, not really that similar I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by HarlemSquirrel View Post

I was thinking of the pub/sub model that can be set up with websockets that can replace the need to repeatedly query an endpoint for updates. But yeah, not really that similar I suppose.
            pub/sub model has nothing to do with websockets, websockets are just a plain two way communication channel, they is not model defined in it.
            What you are talking about is MQTT and maybe MQTT over websockets.

Comment

Originally posted by dragonn View Post

pub/sub model has nothing to do with websockets, websockets are just a plain two way communication channel, they is not model defined in it.
              What you are talking about is MQTT and maybe MQTT over websockets.
              https://edgeguides.rubyonrails.org/a...b-questionmark

Comment

"you can send messages to a server and receive event-driven responses without having to poll the server for a reply"

- https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/...WebSockets_API

That is what made the connection in my mind but I'm sure this is quite different.

Comment

This is just some ruby implementation...
                  Maybe most websockets implementation are pub/sub model, but that doesn't mean websockets are implementing that model.
                  Websockets can by used in any possible way, I use websockets for streaming h264 video over it and view it in browser (h264-live-player) or as modbus to browser bridge.

Comment

Working...
                  X