Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 10 May 2020 vs. Ubuntu 20.04 Is A Surprisingly Heated Race On The Intel Core i9 10900K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
    finaly the OS have the same performance in the same hardware, this means a equal support from hardware vendors. The problem of windows 10 is the lake of control and their ntfs
    And where are you seeing this 'equal' performance? Ubuntu smashed it badly, except few Firefox benchmarks. The problem with Windows is also its sluggishness, being spyware etc. Furthermore, you make no sense.
    Last edited by Volta; 12 June 2020, 02:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

Completely unrelated, but:
      1. First they ignore you
      2. Then they laugh at you <<< --- We are here!
      3. Then they fight you
      4. Then you win

I think we are dangerously close to #3 if not there already.

With the spyware, mass surveilance, I think mr. Stallman was right from the beginning.

I wonder if in a few years will anyone still dare to make jokes about tinfoil hats...
      I get that Microsoft doesn't have the best track record when it comes to how they treat competitors (which Desktop Linux is not BTW. It is pretty much negligible from MS's point of view). However, please try to imagine how that would go. Due to the fact that there is no single Linux development entity, it is almost impossible to sneak stuff by the large audience of users and developers unless you can buy off basically everyone involved. Also, there is no shortage of distros. If Ubuntu was actually paid to scale down performance, it would be very easy to simply switch. Additionally, I recall Ubuntu being relatively on par with most other mainstream distros - the outlier being Clear Linux. So, so far there is absolutely no indication that Ubuntu in particular is performing worse than most other Distros. Even if there was, this could mean a great number of things but certainly not a clear proof that MS is to blame. If you can provide that proof, I am definitely willing to listen (so are the courts, presumably). Until then, there is absolutely no evidence to back up that claim. That makes it a conspiracy theory born from the inherent dislike for anyone who actually earns money with software on these forums.

Comment

Looks like someone at Mozilla needs a wake-up call.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
          It only noticeably looses in some Firefox benchmarks.
          And that is just another proof that those benchmarks are meaningless - from all my experiences Firefox feels much smoother on Linux than on Windows, it's not even close. At least with a lot of open tabs that is ^^

Comment

Originally posted by Termy View Post
            And that is just another proof that those benchmarks are meaningless - from all my experiences Firefox feels much smoother on Linux than on Windows, it's not even close. At least with a lot of open tabs that is ^^
            This is also my experience. Memory management and CPU scheduler are terrible in Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post

I get that Microsoft doesn't have the best track record when it comes to how they treat competitors (which Desktop Linux is not BTW. It is pretty much negligible from MS's point of view). However, please try to imagine how that would go. Due to the fact that there is no single Linux development entity, it is almost impossible to sneak stuff by the large audience of users and developers unless you can buy off basically everyone involved. Also, there is no shortage of distros. If Ubuntu was actually paid to scale down performance, it would be very easy to simply switch. Additionally, I recall Ubuntu being relatively on par with most other mainstream distros - the outlier being Clear Linux. So, so far there is absolutely no indication that Ubuntu in particular is performing worse than most other Distros. Even if there was, this could mean a great number of things but certainly not a clear proof that MS is to blame. If you can provide that proof, I am definitely willing to listen (so are the courts, presumably). Until then, there is absolutely no evidence to back up that claim. That makes it a conspiracy theory born from the inherent dislike for anyone who actually earns money with software on these forums.
              in fact ubuntu 20.04 was paid by nvidia to stay on to closed source nvidia driver compatible outdated kernel 5.4 on the same time on Fedora 32 no dirty money from nvidia kernel is 5,7 and debian 11 is on kernel 5.6.
              this means ubuntu is already crippled down on performance for this little favor for Nvidia.
              and not only kernel also wayland vs X11... Nvidia also paid ubuntu to stay on outdated wayland and they paid for not dropping x11 support because modern versions of gnome software and MESA they drop X11 support and go only with wayland and Xwayland

this means in Fedora 33 there will be dropped so much X11 legacy stuff that there is second problem with ubuntu 20.20 they stay again on old versions or they lost Nvidia closed source support.

this means ubuntu and Nvidia already did so much damanage to the linux eco system that this is in fact war.

and microsoft does the same with ubuntu they pay all kind of supershit to be extra shit.
              and i will not go into details but in fact in the moment the microsoft money comes into ubuntu this distro was turned into supershit.
              Last edited by qarium; 12 June 2020, 07:01 PM.
              Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

The renaissance is just beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by down1 View Post

Chris Titus's comparison shows windows getting faster.
                  Care to share a link?

Comment

https://youtu.be/sPcxB5xJDPQ this is the link. But double check what he said as I may have misremembered

Comment

I would like to see some blender windws vs linux gpu benchmark, since those are most relevant these days, using both nvidia and amd gpus. Lately I'm using an amd card, and have to say that on linux the support is quite limited, at least for what it concerns opencl : You can install the official drivers (even only the opencl part, keeping the opensource display driver), the official way only on ubuntu lts, opensuse, centos, redshift and few of very mainstream distros. Already, on debian, my favourite distro I could install them but that wasn't trivial. On manjaro I remember I found something in the AUR repository that manages to install the opencl part automatically. On Clear Linux, unless i missed something, there's very little space for playing around, it feels like using Macintosh , and i couldn't manage to use the gpu render in blender.

Comment

Working...
                      X