No announcement yet.

Staging/IIO Changes For Linux 5.8 Are The Most Boring We Have Seen In A While

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staging/IIO Changes For Linux 5.8 Are The Most Boring We Have Seen In A While

Phoronix: Staging/IIO Changes For Linux 5.8 Are The Most Boring We Have Seen In A While

With the staging/IIO subsystem changes for Linux 5.8 arguably most notable is what didn't make the cut this round...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The last round for the SFH driver was at May, 29: https://lkml.org/lkml/2020/5/29/589

And the review was horrible, multiple NULL pointer dereferences.

The review was closed with:
    I can't believe this is fifth version.
    Guys, you have to do much more work on these drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckPoltergeist View Post
      The last round for the SFH driver was at May, 29: https://lkml.org/lkml/2020/5/29/589

And the review was horrible,
      I wonder whether AMDs windows drivers are of similar "quality" ?

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post

I wonder whether AMDs windows drivers are of similar "quality" ?
        Probably, given the number of bugs and poor performance we see. Especially in recent times, their GPU drivers have been very buggy. Lack of software quality is one of the biggest weaknesses of AMD, it's really holding them back.
        ​​​​

Comment

Yeah, the review on the SFHv5 driver came out rather disappointing.
          I already offered my refactored version of the driver to the AMD devs, but they don't seem to have taken too much of it into their refactored v5 patch series.
          If you're an Arch Linux user, you can get a DKMS driver package from the AUR.
          It's been tried and tested and is currently working well for the accelerometer on my HP Envy x360 13-ag0005ng.

Comment

Working...
          X