Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXT4 Gets A Nice Batch Of Fixes For Linux 5.8

Phoronix: EXT4 Gets A Nice Batch Of Fixes For Linux 5.8

Ted Ts'o sent in the EXT4 file-system changes on Thursday for Linux 5.8 as the summer 2020 kernel release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There is also clean-ups to EXT4's fiemap handling, multiple block allocator, and other improvements.
    is --> are (English is full of traps for unwary foreigners, so this is not criticism, just information. Irregular verbs are a pain in all languages)

I guess the fee-, foe-, and fum-map handling didn't need clean-up. ;-)

Comment

There are words, and there is a letter, but there also be words, and there be a letter...

Comment

Let's make EXT5 with all the features of ZFS and BTRFS. After all, it's the most successful Linux filesystem.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
          Let's make EXT5 with all the features of ZFS and BTRFS. After all, it's the most successful Linux filesystem.
          It's gonna take a LONG time if they began to think like those filesystems u mentioned and after they decide, its gonna take another LONG time ready to be released in EXT6.

Although I would love to see that happens faster.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grouch View Post

is --> are (English is full of traps for unwary foreigners, so this is not criticism, just information. Irregular verbs are a pain in all languages)

I guess the fee-, foe-, and fum-map handling didn't need clean-up. ;-)
            Since when is Michael a foreigner? Last time I checked he was American, born and raised.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
              No thanks.
              The only feature missing from ext4 is data Checksumming. Which is useless anyway because all disks do a crc themselves anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post

No thanks.
                The only feature missing from ext4 is data Checksumming. Which is useless anyway because all disks do a crc themselves anyway.
                If it is so useless then how did it catch a failing disk in my btrfs array back in 2014 or so?

I had a Western Digital 2 TB drive that must have had some controller or cache RAM failure, because it returned zeroes for a set of blocks. You could write to those blocks, and it would return the new data for a while, then it was right back to zeroes. No block errors reported either.

So much for disk CRC.

Comment

Oh look EXT4 has bugs. It must not be a stable filesystem! Quick everyone switch to ZFS!

Yeah, I like to say that because it's exactly what the btrfs critics say every time there's a bugfix release. It's just as ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post

If it is so useless then how did it catch a failing disk in my btrfs array back in 2014 or so?

I had a Western Digital 2 TB drive that must have had some controller or cache RAM failure, because it returned zeroes for a set of blocks. You could write to those blocks, and it would return the new data for a while, then it was right back to zeroes. No block errors reported either.

So much for disk CRC.
                    dm-integrity

Comment

Working...
                    X