Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red Hat's Stratis Storage 2.1 Released With Encryption Support, Other Improvements

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Red Hat's Stratis Storage 2.1 Released With Encryption Support, Other Improvements

    Phoronix: Red Hat's Stratis Storage 2.1 Released With Encryption Support, Other Improvements

    Version 2.1 of Red Hat's Stratis daemon is now available that aims to bring Btrfs/ZFS-like functionality atop the XFS file-system paired with LVM...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...s-2.1-Released

  • #2
    Cool. It's always nice to see a major feature milestone checked off.

    I'm curious, does anyone know if/when it's possible to use it as a root file system?

    Speaking for desktop users, being able to snapshot our root volume before doing potentially stupid crap and then having the ability to revert that stupid crap is the feature we're after and what we're waiting on (and why I assume ZFS and BTRFS are popular on the desktop).

    I know that I love taking a snapshot before compiling from git because picking an entry in the bootloader is so much easier to deal with than package managers and downgrades when compiled from git eventually hits the fan. Insert your own project. We all have a compiled from git horror story.

    Comment


    • #3
      Michael You'd think I'd know not to use certain words by now

      EDIT: Thanks
      Last edited by skeevy420; 06-04-2020, 09:46 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        My big thing is the scrubbing and self-healing data. Maybe I missed it but so far I didn't see that in Stratis's offerings yet. It's the biggest reason I stick to BTRFS and ZFS. I also hope for BCacheFS to come as yet another choice in this space.

        Comment


        • #5
          other modern Linux file-systems long offering easy to manage encryption support
          Easy to manage, huh? There's no such thing on Linux, FYI. LUKS is inflexible as all hell, and fscrypt is bugged and limited beyond belief. And that's about it.

          Comment


          • #6
            stratisd won't run without systemd, correct? "Stratisd runs as root, and requires access to the D-Bus system bus. Thus in order to work properly, a D-Bus conf file must exist to grant access, either installed by distribution packaging; or manually, by copying stratisd.conf to /etc/dbus-1/system.d/." Maybe I'm wrong, maybe a distro could package it without systemd.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by andyprough View Post
              stratisd won't run without systemd, correct? "Stratisd runs as root, and requires access to the D-Bus system bus. Thus in order to work properly, a D-Bus conf file must exist to grant access, either installed by distribution packaging; or manually, by copying stratisd.conf to /etc/dbus-1/system.d/." Maybe I'm wrong, maybe a distro could package it without systemd.
              What you are quoting has nothing to do with systemd at all. It's just a D-Bus dependency

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by anarki2 View Post

                Easy to manage, huh? There's no such thing on Linux, FYI. LUKS is inflexible as all hell, and fscrypt is bugged and limited beyond belief. And that's about it.
                Well... ZFS's is pretty easy.

                Block based like Luks but per dataset (directory).

                Comment


                • #9
                  RahulSundaram - "What you are quoting has nothing to do with systemd at all. It's just a D-Bus dependency". True, but don't overly focus on the "/etc/dbus-1/system.d/" folder name. For example, instructions for creating, removing, and mounting stratis file systems include enabling and starting with systemctl, and loading a /usr/lib/systemd service. Clearly it's D-Bus dependent, but is it also systemd dependent? It seems so to me, but I'm not certain.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                    RahulSundaram - "What you are quoting has nothing to do with systemd at all. It's just a D-Bus dependency". True, but don't overly focus on the "/etc/dbus-1/system.d/" folder name. For example, instructions for creating, removing, and mounting stratis file systems include enabling and starting with systemctl, and loading a /usr/lib/systemd service. Clearly it's D-Bus dependent, but is it also systemd dependent? It seems so to me, but I'm not certain.
                    I am only quoting what you posted, there was nothing else to focus on. To be clear, D-Bus has no connection to systemd. Distributions can replace systemd service files with whatever alternative implementation they choose. It is a fairly minor packaging change. They lose some of the systemd features if they do that but that's expected

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X